Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt >

I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default I am so sick I wanna puke, dry fired my Hoyt

Got a nice pre spring day, so me and neighbor hit the local 3D range. Anyhow, we get to the final target, a boar over frozen water. Buddy said 20 yards. I said you will be hit way low as the ice sheet is throwing off you perception. Sure enough he hit the stomach. I said now watch this 30 yard shot. Draw and release to the worst noise ever!!! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!! Took it into shop owner to look over. Limbs appear okay. Cam clips were still attached. One string leech was partially dislodged. He said it looks fine. It drew fine. Shoot 1/2 dozen arrows. OK.

But I am still leary. Anything I should be looking for in the future??? Hoyt claims their risers and limbs are engineered to withstand 1000 dryfires at 80lbs draw. Hype? I don't know. Not looking to get chastised for the DF. I am already sick over it. But looking for info on how to proceed with my bow from here on out.

Thanks TW
Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

I did the same thing with my hoyt I just checked out the limbs before and after a few shots everything was fine and never had a problem and that was like two years ago. when I did that I felt so sick also but nothing bad ever happened.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you forget to put an arrow in the bow before you took the shot?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Did you forget to put an arrow in the bow before you took the shot?
Yes. I thought I made that clear when I said I dry fired it. Was smack talking back and forth with my buddy and was not paying attention. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the proshop you should be fine,just check everything out after a few shots.Most bows are designed to withstand a dry-fire,not that we ever want to do it but it happens! Don't kick yourself to hard if you shoot enough its bound to happen sooner or latter.I was taking a shot at a doe a few years back from a tree stand and had the arrow fall off the string and dry-fired my old Mathews,and I know it will make you sick but as long as everything checks out OK your good to go.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your shop says it ok your probably fine. Hoyts are notorious for holding up during dry fires. And dont feel so bad, one time at a shoot i saw a guy dry fire his bow 2 times within 5 targets, his bow did somehow hold together and i believe he was shooting a hoyt if i remember correctly.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 AM
bigcountry

It happens to all of us sooner or later. Made sure you take out the axles and make sure they are not bent. The axles can be replaced cheap. What I noticed from a dry fire is the cables and axles take the most damage. On on some brands, the cams can become bent. Bowtech in 05 and 06 had serious issues with bent cams. All these things can be inspected.

Hate to hear it for you. I know the feeling.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have the axles pulled and checked just to be on the safe side.

It would be worth the extra effort for me.

I've seen lots of bows dry fired and believe it or not many come out fine.

Dan
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

technology these days is kewl....i think Hoyt had a commercial where the guy dry fired the bow as many times as he could during the commercial to end with an arrow in the bulls eye..my friggen neighbor dry fired mine just tryin to release the string slowly...lesson learned...now when someone asks..not only naaaa but heck naaaaaa.

btw limbs didnt break, and if they did it has a life time warranty on all parts from the manufacturer
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've dry-fired 2 of mine, don't feel bad. One was looking at the bow at full draw making sure everything looked right in a shop just a couple weeks ago, and the string slipped out of my fingers, I caught it a little, but it still made a nasty little noise that I hate to hear. The other time, I was drawing back an arrow that had a crack in it when it started to come apart, I was able to knock the arrow off the string before I semi-dry-fired it. Both bows were just fine, but I felt like a heel over it. And YES, that HOYT, if newer (2006 or newer) is one of the TOUGHEST bows out there, and should be just FINE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.