Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Help with arrow length for new Hoyt Katera XL >

Help with arrow length for new Hoyt Katera XL

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with arrow length for new Hoyt Katera XL

Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Spike

Default Help with arrow length for new Hoyt Katera XL

Hi all,
I just bought a new Hoyt Katera XL 50-60lbs bow.
I'm going to buy some GOLD TIP EXPEDITION HUNTER 5575 arrows for it.

My draw length is 29" and I will shoot with a release at around 55lbs. I use a NAP quicktune smartrest.

I want to use these arrows with field tips as well as broadheads.

Do you know which length I need to order them in to fit my setup?

Hoping a Katera XL owner out there can help me. Don't want to cut my fingers on the broadheads at full draw

Thanks

Last edited by satrapus; 03-03-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

The best I can tell you is to draw the bow back with the arrow on the string and have someone mark it where you want. On a new shooter I always mark it somewhere just past the riser. If the draw is true then it would be 29" or a little longer. But some of the companies don't measure the same way!!!This way you have the arrow exactly like you want.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Carry the bow with you when you go to purchase your arrows.

If your pro shop can't figure it out then you don't want their arrows no how!

Easton makes a graduated arrow that should (if the saw is set up right) match up with the shops arrow saw. Unless you have an arrow saw... you cannot cut your own carbons anyway.

Cutting your fingers should not be an issue... no matter what.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Spike

I'm in the unfortunate position where I don't have an archery store anywhere near me (that's what you get for living in a village in rural england) This means I can't draw an arrow and mark it

I'll be shooting fixed blade broadheads so I guess the arrow should clear the riser at full draw by a small amount.

I think a 29 or 29.5" arrow length should do for my 29" draw.

Any kind katera xl owners out there that could confirm this pleeeease?

added:
just seen the video for my rest:
http://www.newarchery.com/products/2...mart-rest.html

it seems the arrow tip is way back from the riser which confuses me even more

Last edited by satrapus; 03-04-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by satrapus
I'm in the unfortunate position where I don't have an archery store anywhere near me (that's what you get for living in a village in rural england) This means I can't draw an arrow and mark it

I'll be shooting fixed blade broadheads so I guess the arrow should clear the riser at full draw by a small amount.

I think a 29 or 29.5" arrow length should do for my 29" draw.

Any kind katera xl owners out there that could confirm this pleeeease?

added:
just seen the video for my rest:
http://www.newarchery.com/products/2...mart-rest.html

it seems the arrow tip is way back from the riser which confuses me even more

I understand your plight... good to know. Don't dispair, we can help.

It maybe back in that video... but we can cut arrows to make them hang out over the riser or stop 1/4" short of the rest. Just remember that a bit too long with an arrow is better than a bit too short. (Of course I'm sure you figured that out).

Typically (thats a key word here), bows with 29" draws can use 28" arrows. Not always though. If you were to stick with 29 or even 29.5", I am confident you'd be just fine. Unless your fixed blade heads are lawnmower blades or filet knives, you'll have no clearance issues with the riser... and as I illuded to before, your fingers ought to not be up there anyway.

I've set up several kateras for customers, and like most hoyts, they are pretty spot on when it comes to draw length.

Good luck with it... the Kateras are a hoyt shooters hoyt... great bows.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Spike

Hey SwampCollie many thanks for your kind help.
It's cleared things up for me
I'll go with 28.5" or 29" arrow length to be sure.

Any thoughts on a good 5 pin sight brand other than the Copper John and short stabilizer?

Best regards from across the pond
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey SwampCollie many thanks for your kind help.
It's cleared things up for me
I'll go with 28.5" or 29" arrow length to be sure.

Any thoughts on a good 5 pin sight brand other than the Copper John and short stabilizer?

Best regards from across the pond
There are countless well made 5 pin sights to choose from. I guess all I can do is counter with: What exactly are your requirements for a sight? Meaning what are the most important aspects for you as an archer? There are sights I can point you toward that are price point... super tough.... super micro adjustable.... super bright.... etc etc etc. I realize not everyone wants to drop $250 (I think thats around 200 pounds or 190 euros.... its a lot of scratch for sure) on a sight. But if you do... hey... its still cheaper than loose women.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Spike

haha loose women, tell me about it

I need a sight for both 3d competitions and hunting if at all possible

I've read quite a few good things about the montana black gold flashpoint sight. I can pick up a 4 pin .19 for around $80 on ebay which won't break the bank. has great review on cabela's it that's anything to go by

was looking at the Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Scimitar 5 pin sight prior to that. similar price

take care
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha loose women, tell me about it

I need a sight for both 3d competitions and hunting if at all possible

I've read quite a few good things about the montana black gold flashpoint sight. I can pick up a 4 pin .19 for around $80 on ebay which won't break the bank. has great review on cabela's it that's anything to go by

was looking at the Copper John Dead Nuts 2 Scimitar 5 pin sight prior to that. similar price

take care
In that case, it depends entirely on exactly how your 3D classes break down (assuming you are shooting for score and not just for fun). IBO hunter class would limit you to 4 fixed pins in hunter class. Don't know exactly which rules y'all play by over there.

Black Golds have a pretty strong following. Never looked at one myself. Online reviews are good, because folks are ten times more likely to post bad stuff than good.... so if you only see good, you can assume that for every one good thing you hear there are 20 good things you don't.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are really worried about arrow length, you can always rig up a "dummy" arrow with a dowel or something and mark it where you want it, and have some arrows cut for that length. I've honestly not one time measured my arrows, always just cut them according where I want them when at full draw. Because I have to shoot telephone poles with a 32" draw, I cut mine as close to the rest as possible, but with your draw, that is not necessary.
As for your sights, what Swamp said is VERY true about good reviews. This website is a perfect example of that, bad word travels way faster than good. So, if you read a bunch of good and no bad, you can be pretty confident that you are getting a quality product. I'm a Spott-Hogg man...except my one Copper John. I like them both, the Spott is built a little sturdier though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.