Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Lighted Nocks shutoff >

Lighted Nocks shutoff

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lighted Nocks shutoff

Old 09-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Spike

Default Lighted Nocks shutoff

I recently just purchased a lighted nock to see how'd I'd like it. I do like it however, the shutoff is a bit of a pain. The one I purchased is the "nockturnal" brand. The only thing pointed enough that I've found to get into the small hole to turn the light back off is a knife, and at times Im really digging and scrapping it up quite a bit.

I'm also concerned about how hard I had to push to get the nock into the arrow with pliers, and left a small mark on the nock.

Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Also, when target practicing, should I be shutting the nock off after every shot?

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my target points point. It is small enough to fit into the slot and turn it off. I also use the tip of my broadhead when in the field. And if you want, leave the nock on while target shooting, but it will wear out fast. I use dead ones to target practice so the weight is the same as hunting.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

i used nockturnals this year and found them very easy to turn off if you're doing it properly. all that has to be done is to separate the colored ring from the aluminum base toward the end that holds the string and you're done. i use a field point from another arrow and it works fine and doesn't gouge the switch up at all if you do it correctly.
i pretty much just left them on and turned them all off once i was done shooting and got pretty good life out of the batteries.
like your arrows and broadheads i would recommend that once you've verified that ones you are going to use work reliably that you set a few aside and use them for a hunting arrow set up only to ensure the battery life and brightness is there when you need it.
one last thing, i know they're expensive but make sure you shoot them enough to realize get a feel for their arrow flight as they're heavier than standard nocks and do effect arrow flight.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help guys.

The battery life from my understanding is roughly 20 hours which seems like quite a bit.

I did also notice a difference shooting the lighted nock compared to the standard nock. I actually shot much better, at a longer distance, with the lighted nock.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

as for your accuracy improvement you may just be concentrating more using the lighted nock. The difference in weight is only about 5 grs. As for putting them in with pliers, are you sure you got the right size nocks? Usually all that's needed is a firm push, sometimes against the side of the work bench or table top. Alignment if necessary is then made with a nock alignment tool. I tried several different brands of lighted nocks and I also settled on the Nocturnals. Turning them off isn't that difficult with another field tip or other sharp pointed item. You knife point may not be pointed enough to go into the hole.