Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
paper tuning problems >

paper tuning problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paper tuning problems

Old 02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default paper tuning problems

Set up-
Bowtech detroyer 340 66# 27.5" draw
QAD ultra rest
d loop with release
easton axis 340 28" 100gr point

Every time I shoot through paper I get a left tear that is about 1" left and it wont change no matter where I put it. Im not getting any vane contact. I tried putting on a whisker biscuit and I got a high 1" tear. Everything I read says that a high or left tear means a weak arrow, but the axis 340s are pretty stiff. I even tryed shooting 60# and it had the exact same tear. My form is very good and ive tryed changing my grip and other things but still get the same tear. Maybe stiffer arrows or another brand? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default whisker biscuit

by the way the whisker biscuit sucks! The very first shot through it one of my vanes tore!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

With whisker biscuits usually its best to shoot the 2" vains such as blazers the 3" vains i always had problem with them tearing off but now i shoot a drop away
Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe the arrows are crooked. if ya let em lay down or lean for a period of time, especially in the heat, they tend to bend a lil..i knock mine to an old string and let em hang vertical in my shop. yes even carbon fiber
Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have access to a quality fixed broadhead(s) that you could use to do some broadhead tuning?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Spike

I think I fixed the problem. It might have been my grip because when I changed my low wrist position from the center of my hand to more toward my "thumbpad area" I got good bullet holes. Im happy with the results but Im wondering if im not just torquing the bow the opposite way from before and getting a good tear? I dont want my new grip to be a "band-aid" I want my bow shooting straight on its own.

I dont think my arrows are bending because of heat, I live in Washington and the weather is very mild, and WET!

Last edited by jellymon; 02-13-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 AM
bigcountry

Its totally amazing how much difference the grip makes.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

One of the things I teach new shooters is the grip! I sometimes have them stand on the side of the hill with one foot higher makes them lean into the bow a bit more. I also make them hold the bow with only the thumb and index finger, the other three are tucked into the palm. You cannot torque the bow this way.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

if you have a peep site with a rubber tubing it could be the pressure from the tube, I had the same problem do not remember which way it was tearing but through lots of frustration and experimenting I found out it was the tube.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jellymon
I think I fixed the problem. It might have been my grip because when I changed my low wrist position from the center of my hand to more toward my "thumbpad area" I got good bullet holes. Im happy with the results but Im wondering if im not just torquing the bow the opposite way from before and getting a good tear? I dont want my new grip to be a "band-aid" I want my bow shooting straight on its own.

I dont think my arrows are bending because of heat, I live in Washington and the weather is very mild, and WET!
your grip is important. but i would say above all to check the timing on those cams. check with the manufacturer for specific tuning instructions. i shot a pse x-force in perfect timing and never got it to tune. i called one of the guys that designed that bow and he told me to advance the upper cam 3/8 in. it worked. timing dude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.