Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Quick question

Old 12-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quick question

Alright, I have never done this with any of my bows but is it necessary during the off season to take the string off my bow to relieve the pressure on the limbs? I usually get a new bow every 4-6 years and I have had this bow for 2 years now.

I would like an answer to this questions by someone that knows not opinions.

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I know of no reason, many years ago we had dacron strings and a few of us took them off. From the shooting standpoint, we saw no difference! With today's material for strings there is no stretch, so why would you.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you. Over the years I have never taken the string down and have seen no change in speed or accuracy or durability. thank you for confirming my suspects.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 AM
bigcountry

I started recently dropping my poundage down to min for the off season on my one compound that is left.

I had a few PSE and browning bows that lost thier poundage over time. My last a 98 mohave, I had it for 6 years. At the end of the 6 years, it barely reached 67lbs when I changed its strings for the last time. I had a bowtech liberty that did something simular.

I can't say it will help it to relieve the tension, but this I know from building selfbows. The top 10% of the limb carries over 80% of the tension. And you would never leave a selfbow strung for more than 5 or so hours (unless you like set). Fiberglass no doubt handles tension much better than bamboo or osage. But it stretches too.

I let you know in a few years if it makes a difference or not. Good thing about owning a guardian or commander. You can take almost 100% of tension off and leave the string on.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Spike

If your not going to shoot in the off season just drop it to the minimum poundage and your good to go.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reading the other posts here gave me some time to think. It certainly wn't hurt anything to back the weight down, even below the minimum. I don't think this would help the limbs as much as it would the string/cable. These would probably creep over time so relieving stress on them would most likely keep them from creeping.

I shoot my bows regularly so don't drop the weight down. The longest I ever had a bow was 10 years and never backed that one down and it lost only about 2# of draw weight over the years. Now whether this was due to the limbs losing strength or the string creeping I could not say. This was way back when all we had was wood/glass laminated limbs and steel cables. It was long before such technical things came to light and as I said, I shot my bows almost daily.