Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Using a Thumb release...any tips, set-up changes, etc.. >

Using a Thumb release...any tips, set-up changes, etc..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Using a Thumb release...any tips, set-up changes, etc..

Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Using a Thumb release...any tips, set-up changes, etc..

Picked a nice Tru-Ball Thumb release in a bow package I recently bow, but I've really never used on until yesterday, and I think I like it enough, I might consider switching to using it on a couple of my bows. I noticed that it changes things a bit, and I think I can be more consistent w/ one of these vs. a wrist-strap style....Any tips???
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, holidays slow things around in here.....
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned

thumb release is good if ya aint stalkin, as i lost 1 in the woods before, all within 50-80 yards but couldn't find it..wasn't in my tracks lol

make sure to practice, as it did change my shot at 40 yards by an inch or 2..it is nice cause you can leave it attached to the string, but all the pull is in your fingers now, cause there is no wrist strap.

gl
Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

A thumb release is all I could control (squeeze and not punch). If you use one with a rope (either on the release or attached to the string) you can roll your wrists and get a nice, solid anchor on your jawbone with your knuckles. Your palm actually faces your shoulder or even farther.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HellsAngel
thumb release is good if ya aint stalkin, as i lost 1 in the woods before, all within 50-80 yards but couldn't find it..wasn't in my tracks lol

make sure to practice, as it did change my shot at 40 yards by an inch or 2..it is nice cause you can leave it attached to the string, but all the pull is in your fingers now, cause there is no wrist strap.

gl
I generally don't stalk w/ my release on the string, until I am near a point where I think a shot opportunity may arise anyhow, but I noticed a significant change when I shot w/ the thumb vs. the wrist strap release. Gonna tinker and figure out what works best, but not with my hunting bow right now.....