Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spine?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Spine?

My stepson is going to start shooting this year and I am not sure what arrows to get. He is shooting a Black Ice at 40lbs with a 28'' draw. He is 13 and 5'11'' and still growing. I am thinking of cutting his arrows at 29'' maybe even 29.5'' with 75gr tips and he can't decide between blazers or 4'' feathers. I think he is going to try to eventually shoot 50lbs in the future. Should I get 400s or 500s? I want an arrow that will work for him for awhile that is why I am cutting them alittle longer.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy a half dozen of fairly inexpensive arrows (not necc "crap arrows), at the appropriate cut length and appropriate spine as he is he is set up now.

Once he grows a bit, bumps up his poundage, etc then buy new approriately spine arrows at that point.

IMO, trying to make one arrow spine a "band aid" to fit a multitude of poundage/lengths, is a bad idea. Get him the right equipment off the bat so that he maximises his accuracy potential. Success=fun & high interest. Frustration= kid off to find another hobby.

I got frustrated with a new bow recently trying to "make" a certain arrow work for me despite the fact I knew it was pretty borderline. Flight looked good, but the spine was a bit too weak and it showed up on the target..i.e. CHS (can't hit..you know what). Tried some stiffer arrows and groups shrunk from improved cylinder to arrows touching.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Jeff. That is a good idea. Do you think 500s cut at 28'' will work?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by luke/r
Thanks Jeff. That is a good idea. Do you think 500s cut at 28'' will work?
I think 500s will prolly spine out stiff-especially with 75 grain points. Maybe try some 125 grain points with them, or go down to a 600 spine.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Alright thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and I should clarify I was talking @ 40-ish pounds
Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JeffB
Oh and I should clarify I was talking @ 40-ish pounds
Thats what I figured. Thanks again.