Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points >

Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Old 05-06-2003, 10:04 AM

Default Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Hello,

Why is it I can shoot consistant groups at 25 yards with 100 grain field points, but when I put on my 100 grain broadheads my arrows are not hitting the same as the arrows with the field points?

Thoughts?

I would like to be able to shoot the same with both tips.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 AM

Default RE: Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Broadheads fly Diff. than field points. They grab wind and plane. You bow has to be very well tuned to shoot them, and your form has to be on.

It is not neccessary to have both the BH' s and FP' s to hit in the same exact spot. As lond as the BH' s hold very tight groups out to further yardages they are flying well.

It is usually possible to get them to impact the same - but can take some long frustraiting tweeking to to it - and IMO really not all that neccessary.

Good Luck and welcome to the Board and the world of tunning broadheads

P.S. - a search will yield more info than I feel like typing at this point
Old 05-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the most debated things on the boards , with some bows its posable to get them to hit close together with oters its imposable , but that does not mean you cant get excelent groups with both arrows , they just hit diferant spots . Heres some reading for you this guy knows what hes talking about .

http://domino.htcomp.net/ragsdale.nsf
Old 05-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always tune seperately for both field point and fixed broadheads. In most cases, I believe that if you can get them to hit the same point of impact that you have sucessfully made a compramise and have not tuned either of them perfectly.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the responses,

I appreciate you all taking the time to look at my question. I have my bow sighted in for my broadheads at this time. When you practice do you tend to shoot old broadheads into the target? What stinks about practicing with broadheads is that you' re more apt to hit your arrows, fletchings and the other broadheads. Is that something you all run into as well? I only shoot 2 to 3 arrows at a time, but I have ruined a bunch of arrows regardless. It is getting expensive.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Corey
Old 05-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Easy fix. Don' t shoot for groups with broadheads. Put several spots on your target and shoot each arrow at a seperate spot.

When I' m getting ready to hunt, I practice with the broadheads I' m actually going to be using. I want to know that each one will shoot where I point it. I use traditional style heads and just resharpen them before hitting the woods. If I used replaceable blade heads, each head would get a brand new set of blades before they go afield.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every one has there own opinions or theories but I don' t agree with tuning them seaperately. The way I see it is if the broad heads are not shooting to the same place as field tips then the arrow is not coming off the bow perfectly straight and there is something just slightly out of tune. If the arrow is not coming off the bow straight then the blades on the broadhead begin to " steer" the arrow as soon as it leaves the bow. This is assuming that your arrows are properly spined and the heads are aligned with the arrows properly.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 PM

BigBulls,

I am not 100% disagreeing with you. I still try to get them close IF my BH groups do not suffer.

My biggest argument to what you said is in the fact that even in the most perfectly tuned bow the arrow is designed to flex. There is no getting around the fact that the arrow will flex upon release. Because of this I believe that the perfectly tuned BH will impact different than a field point. It is going to plane or grab air differently than a fp.

I am not saying it is impossible to get great groups and the same PI out of a set up. But sometimes getting them to hit the same spot WILL NOT yield the best BH groups.

And its how they group IMO that is the ultimate factor.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:22 PM

Mainah77, I' d make small adjustments to your rest and nock point, trying to move your broadhead groups closer to the field points. Example, if your broadheads are hitting low, lower your nock point about 1/16" at a time. If they' re hitting left, move the rest to the right 1/16" at a time. You should be able to get them damn close.
Broadheads catch air when the arrow flexes, they have a different FOC due to their slightly longer length than the field points, and they create a little more drag.
But' s lets be honest here, if you are asking this question, I doubt your a pro shooter who can see the difference, so I' d say you should just worry about getting them close together. Then as you practice and improve, you can group tune for broadheads. I doubt you' re tuned so well that you' re actually seeing the difference in broadheads, most likely you' re seeing the broadhead planning because it' s not coming off the rest exactly straight.
I can always get my broadheads and field points hitting the same spot, but then again, I' m not the kind of shot some of these guys are, so maybe I' m not seeing the small difference they see
Old 05-06-2003, 02:59 PM

Design vs. aerodynamics (forces) dictate that a " fixed-wing broadhead" shall not be expected to, without fail, behave the same as a " streamlined field point" does,

-regardless what the manufacturer hype claims;
-regardless how much you believe they should and want them to; and
- no matter that sometimes some shooters do get their fixed-wing broadheads to fly and impact as and where their field point mounted arrows do.

If " fixed-wing broadheads" are supposed to fly and impact the same as a field point, and if they don' t it is the fault of the shooter and the setup…not the broadhead; for what PRIMARY PURPOSE was the " mechanical broadhead" designed, and what does the fundamental design of the mechanical broadhead imitate?

WHY is it necessary ….an absolute expectation with some shooters… that your " fixed-wing broadheads" fly the same as a field point mounted shaft, and impact the same as a field point mounted shaft? Do you hunt large game with your fixed-wing broadheads AND your field points?

If you demand and expect both the fixed-wing broadhead and the field point to fly and impact identically, but the broadhead is the primary head for hunting large game, why must the fixed-wing broadhead be expected (required) to fly and impact as the field point does? Why not the opposite? When tuning for hunting purposes, should not the performance of the " fixed-wing broadhead" be the primary consideration?

If you are going to bowhunt, tune and setup for bowhunting. Not for range-shooting, only.

In most cases where a shooter has struggled to tweak the broadhead to fly and impact as his or her field points do, in all probability their broadhead mounted shafts are riding a very thin line between good flight and accuracy, and poor flight and a miss.

Quick Reply: Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.