Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Are carbon arrows weather proof??? >

Are carbon arrows weather proof???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Are carbon arrows weather proof???

Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are carbon arrows weather proof???

After the snow just thawed out I found a half doz of my easton carbonareo arrows that I left outside since last sept. through winter. They'll good arrows but I'm reluctant about the integrity of the carbon shaft being left out in the elements so long. They do need to be refletched which ain't no biggie
What should I do?
A) Get rid of them []
B) Shoot them and Take a chance
C) Invite a friend over and ask him to shoot them

Thanks.

Bobby
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Are carbon arrows weather proof???

I don't know for sure thats an interesting topic. I'm not sure the cold would hurt them as much as the snow. If there were a lot of extreme temperaturechanges it would probably affect them more. I would think their straightness would be effected at the very least. They also may have started to 'rot' from the moisture. I'm not going to tell you to shoot them because I wouldn't want you to get hurt. Those arrows might become really expensive if you have to take a trip to the emergency room
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM

IADeer its interesting that you bring up extreme temp changes would affect them more, IMO I would worry about the moisture more. Reason being is you take the arrows from the house to the woods and just hunting with them they can experience more than 70 degrees temp changes just by using them...house temp 68-72 degrees temp outside can be below 0 degrees while hunting.
But moisture = water...water erode anything in time.
they more than likely have been affected by the weight of the snow on them so prob are warped or weakened from that more than anything.
when in doubt throw it out its better than arrow shaft splinters sticking out of your hand... if someone would post that picture again you'd see why.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like C (jk). They are probably no good and the catastrophic results of shooting a bad carbon arrow through a modern compund are well documented. Gotta toss em.

Look at it this way: it's an excuse to buy new arrows.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

If it was me I would contact the manufacter of the arrows and ask them,you may still get to use them as practice arrows if they wern't weekened by the elements.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

So long as you didn't step on them or mow over them etc... etc... they are just fine.

If that is all it took to mess up a carbon arrow then wewould bein trouble.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

So long as you didn't step on them or mow over them etc... etc... they are just fine.

If that is all it took to mess up a carbon arrow then wewould bein trouble.
Thats kind of what i was thinking, but im not too educated on em' so i didnt say anything. i always thought carbon was suppossed to be fine against any of that kind of stuff???
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a good idea to shoot them-

while we do go from extremes taking them in and out of the house. Its for a few hours. We are not leaving them outside exposed to elements for over half a year. That continual expansion and contraction from freezing, thawing, freezing, re-thawing, getting wet, heating up, is not good. This will put tons of stress on the composite fibers (which are not carbon) and wil cause variation/bulging in the wraps- especially around the area like the insert where its going to get even colder.

I've seen this happen with my own arrows that I left outside (shoot throughs in my target-stuck in tree roots, hit a rock, etc). Its just a matter of time before they start coming apart under the stress of being shot again.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is what I did. I closely inspected each arrow with a magnifying glass and spun them for straightness. They appeared to be okay so I left the old fletchings on and shot the arrows at 10 yrds due to the fletchings being in bad shape. Everything seems alright after shooting each arrow about a dozen times. I now have the fletchings stripped off and in the process of fletching them up with some new vanes.
I was skeptical about shooting them due to the extreme temperature changes from 40 below and snow effecting them. I have seen some photos of guys shooting there hand from a bad arrow but I will be inspecting them more often then usual. If I were to call the manufacture on what to do they would say throw them away because they don't want any bad publicity or possible libiliaty.

Bobby
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

A few years back I found one of my Gold Tip's from theprevious season, which was my 'lucky arrow', while I was out shed hunting. Iinspected it and used it again for several more seasons of hunting. That arrow and had gone thru at least a half dozen deer. Unfortunately one yearone bigger bucks I've shot took it close behind a shoulder and snapped it in half.
I'dexpect it would take several years of exposure to direct sun, water, or acidic soil to compromise the integrity of a quality carbon shaft to the point of making it unsafe to shoot, but that is just my personal guesstimate.
In any case, the effects of weather on a shaftis a very good question to consider. I'm sure for liability reasons any arrowmanufacturer would have to recommend discarding it. Considering the price of a single arrow, it's really probably not worth risking it.

Quick Reply: Are carbon arrows weather proof???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.