Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Pin Spacing (Dumb Question) >

Pin Spacing (Dumb Question)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pin Spacing (Dumb Question)

Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pin Spacing (Dumb Question)

So I don't know if its me, my bow or just whacky physics..

But I notice that the space between my 20 and 30 pin is actually a little larger than the spaces between the rest of my pins 40, 50, and 60 which are all the same.. When I am shooting at the range my groupings arebang on for all ranges.

Just curious with this spacing discrepancy. Also I do tune my bow but I can't really say how compentant I am. Ultimately my fixed broadheads fly like my field points so probably good enough.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pin Spacing (Dumb Question)

Physically- Im pretty sure that that defies the laws of physics. The only factor that could be causing the arrow to apparantly speed up in flight is wind, on the other hand, wind/air and gravity slow it down/act against its flight. Unless you have little rockets on the end of your arrow im not sure how this could happen

The only REAL theory I can think of (and its way out there) is that your arrow is FAR too weak thus creating a wobble that eventually is cured by the fletching @ 30yds, and then the arrow stabilizes (gets straight again) and picks up speed. The whole "nodes" thing is really the only thing that comes to mind. If your alignment is out of whack b/c of weakness, and all of the sudden, they align, maybe it could gain speed???

Like i said, way out there. And you said for yourself that you can get bh's to hit with fp's so i would venture to say that your spine is correct as well?

Derek
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Spike

its you, something with how your shooting..
Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

I would think your spacing would be more between your 40, 50, 60 yd pins. though still wondering why you have a 60 yd pin. Is your spacing between your 30 and 40 the same as the 50 and 60?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I assume it is probablyme, I will be sending some carbon down range a lot more this summer to see if I can sort this out...

My spacing between my 30 and 40 is the same as 50 and 60. The 60 pin is for 60 yards. I can get a pie plate grouping.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It probably has to do with a slightly different anchor point at the longer distances. Not noticeable to you, but it does happen. As drockw says, the laws of physics show that arrows will drop exponentially more as the distance increases if everything stays the same at the shooters end. You might try tweaking your draw length just a bit. I'll bet you're just little on the long side.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

It probably has to do with a slightly different anchor point at the longer distances. Not noticeable to you, but it does happen. As drockw says, the laws of physics show that arrows will drop exponentially more as the distance increases if everything stays the same at the shooters end. You might try tweaking your draw length just a bit. I'll bet you're just little on the long side.
Exactly what i was thinking. It really CANT be the bow/arrow.

Question for you Whitehorn- Do you see your sight housing in your peep and align it consistently every time, no matterthe yardage. If not, then you will definately see varience in your shooting b/c you would be centering your pins, not the housing, and like BG said, changing your anchor.

Derek
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard of this phenomonon happening with grossly out of time bows but usually the issue is an aiming issue.You may shoot with the pin on the spot at 20 but at 30 you shoot with the pin under the spot,(shooting off the top of the pin).Either that or you are just not sighted in as closely as you think.