Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How do I increase arrow weight?? >

How do I increase arrow weight??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do I increase arrow weight??

Old 03-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Default How do I increase arrow weight??

Here is what I got, I bought some easton flatline 400's at 7.4 Grains per inch, I shoot a DXT 27 inch draw at 70 lbs, so to stay in spec, and to be able to shoot in a few compititions in the hunting class I need the arrows to weigh 350 grains. at full lenght andwith vanes, wraps, nock, insert and 75 grain tips I am at 360 grains. but i need to take 5 inches off the arrow so I will be about 27 grains light. I dont dare leave the arrow full as I think I will get to much spine bend as i dont want to increase tip weight for the same reason.I am at about 2.3 inches off center for balance point. So at this point I am looking for some input. or am i over thinking it and just go to 100 grain tip, and be done with it?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How do I increase arrow weight??

what lenght will your finished arrows be? i would think you could go to a 100 grain tip and still be ok,but check with the charts then shoot a couple of the recomended shafts and select the one your bow shoots the best,it may not be the one you think you should shoot,my point is let the bow decide which arrow it likes the best.sometimes people tend to get stuck on a paticular arrow without even seeing how well it will perform out of the bow.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 PM

finished arrow will be 28 inches, I was told that due to my short draw and wanting to keep thing as light as possible that these where a good selection for my set up. due to limited budget. i tried to research my arrow options before buying some. so playing with many arrows at this point isn't really an option.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 28" the spine will be pretty marginal with a 100 grain tip. You can try it and it might work. You could also try a heavier, longer vane. I assume you're shooting Blazers. Seems everybody is jumping on that bandwagon these days. A heavier vane would also stiffen up the dynamic spine a bit.

There is another option. Check at Lancaster Archery Supply for weight tubes. I believe they are made by Carbon Express. There are different size ones.

Of course there's another option. LIMB BOLTS. Nothing says the bow has to be maxed out. Just knock it back to 65# and shoot away. You'll probably find a bit better accuracy, too.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BGfisher, drop your draw weight down 5lbs. The spine will be better and you'll get a better gpp that way. And as said, you'll probably find that the bow shoots better since the spine will more closely match the bow.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I agree with BGfisher, drop your draw weight down 5lbs. The spine will be better and you'll get a better gpp that way. And as said, you'll probably find that the bow shoots better since the spine will more closely match the bow.
Thanks for the support Muzzyman. I forgot to say that not only would the arrows spine better but he'd maybe able to shoot more accurately. AND----with his "limited budget" turning the limb bolts to back off the weight doesn't cost a plug nickel.