Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wood arrows with a compound? >

Wood arrows with a compound?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wood arrows with a compound?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Wood arrows with a compound?

Before everyone says no, has anyone tried wood arrows? I know for sure most on here, the answer is no. I see one on this post that might have. I shoot alot of wood. I shoot some cedars thru a 66lbrecurve that is blazing fast. You guys trying to tell me you think a 55lb compound is going to destroy these arrows?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Spike

Are you guys all stupid ? That's clearly a fiberglass arrow in his hand. NOT a wooden one.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Before everyone says no, has anyone tried wood arrows? I know for sure most on here, the answer is no. I see one on this post that might have. I shoot alot of wood. I shoot some cedars thru a 66lbrecurve that is blazing fast. You guys trying to tell me you think a 55lb compound is going to destroy these arrows?
2 entirely different animals. And I can guarantee that your "Blazing fast" recurve is nothing like todays compounds!!! A recurve does not have the kenetic energy transfer during firing such as a compound does. The recurve does not have the sudden energy burst as the compound does when the cams turn over from 65-80% let off to whatever the poundage setting is.
And I am sure everyone here knows that the pic with the arrow in the hand is a carbon and not a wooden arrow.
And my reply to the OP is DO NOT SHOOT WOODEN ARROWS IN A COMPOUND. Buy cheap carbons and go from there.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SecondChance
2 entirely different animals. And I can guarantee that your "Blazing fast" recurve is nothing like todays compounds!!! A recurve does not have the kenetic energy transfer during firing such as a compound does. The recurve does not have the sudden energy burst as the compound does when the cams turn over from 65-80% let off to whatever the poundage setting is.
And I am sure everyone here knows that the pic with the arrow in the hand is a carbon and not a wooden arrow.
And my reply to the OP is DO NOT SHOOT WOODEN ARROWS IN A COMPOUND. Buy cheap carbons and go from there.

Good answer; I agree.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

My question is.....Why would you want to shoot wooden arrows out of a compound bow???
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fonimer
Are you guys all stupid ? That's clearly a fiberglass arrow in his hand. NOT a wooden one.
Read below...LIKE not this is a wooden arrow I wouldnt want wood or fiberglass splintered in my hand

Originally Posted by KodiakArcher
NEVER!!!!! The sudden burst of energy as the cam rolls over is more than most wood shafts can handle. The consequences look something like this:

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
My question is.....Why would you want to shoot wooden arrows out of a compound bow???
exactly! I believe most manufacturers of compound bows today say DONT use wood arrows...
Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wood!!!!!!

The Indians don't shoot with those old bows any longer.
Now, we have high tech compound bows. And high speed crossbows.
It's amazing how much compound bows have changed in the last twenty years.
Wood!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

poor idea .
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stuck a wooden arrow through my jacket sleeve once with a compound, 80# 65% let off Oregon bow built in the 80's. Woods don't splinter the same way that carbons do, but the end result isn't far from the same.

Worst part in my mind, since I didn't end up getting injured, is "what the F did I just do to my bow?". Arrow failures aren't too different than dry-firing your bow, and then say it catches your hand or jacket like they always do, what does that do in terms of limb and riser torque as the bow slams to a halt as the arrow stops?

For what it's worth, why risk it? Stick some flu-flu fletches on a carbon or aluminum shaft and be done with it. I shoot carbon flu-flu's, the few times a year that I do it, 6 vanes on GT XT 7595's, with my bow turned down to about 58lbs.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Spike

I need some more useful information's about wood arrows and wood if anyone know here more about this than post here back i will appreciate him on this sharing....

Last edited by Nommen0; 09-29-2014 at 04:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Wood arrows with a compound?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.