Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Center shot and paper tuning >

Center shot and paper tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Center shot and paper tuning

Old 12-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Center shot and paper tuning

I just got an Admiral, set center shot with level and lazer. I noticed after shooting a few my arrow wouldwhirl comming off the rest. So I set up the paper to check and was getting a 3 inch nock left tare x-----> so I checked clearence and it was fine. Had to adjust rest to the inside untill I got a bare shaft bullet hole. My question is,Though I have perfect holesand clearence,should I care if it looks like the rest is way to far inside??? My 82 was the same way? Now I set up bows for people all the time and have never noticed it except on my 3 bows. Does that have something to do with the binaries??...Oke here is my specs on all 3 bows 70# 30" with 29" carbon express max hunter 350. I made sure cams were timed, and the rest(nap quick tune21oo)cord was not causing torque.......
any thoughts

Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Default RE: Center shot and paper tuning

The roller guard places more lateral torque in the riser. I thought I had excess clearance for the vanes I use so I milled the inside back edge of the roller guard bracket to allow the rollers to pull towards the center more. I have about 3/16" less fletch clearance now. I shot the bow after re-assembly and it grouped 2 inches to the right at 20 yards. I kicked the rest out so it was a little more centered and the groups again went into the center.
I think there's been too much emphisis on Blazer clearance lately and has influenced the design to accomodate them.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Here's another pic..
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brotherbdc

I just got an Admiral, set center shot with level and lazer. I noticed after shooting a few my arrow wouldwhirl comming off the rest. So I set up the paper to check and was getting a 3 inch nock left tare x-----> so I checked clearence and it was fine. Had to adjust rest to the inside untill I got a bare shaft bullet hole. My question is,Though I have perfect holesand clearence,should I care if it looks like the rest is way to far inside??? My 82 was the same way? Now I set up bows for people all the time and have never noticed it except on my 3 bows. Does that have something to do with the binaries??...Oke here is my specs on all 3 bows 70# 30" with 29" carbon express max hunter 350. I made sure cams were timed, and the rest(nap quick tune21oo)cord was not causing torque.......
any thoughts

sounds like a weak arrow reaction. But possibly a clearance issue.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My question is,Though I have perfect holesand clearence,should I care if it looks like the rest is way to far inside???
When you say it LOOKS inside... does it look inside as you stand behind/infront of it..... or is the LASER telling you its inside?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

My question is,Though I have perfect holesand clearence,should I care if it looks like the rest is way to far inside???
When you say it LOOKS inside... does it look inside as you stand behind/infront of it..... or is the LASER telling you its inside?
Lazer.....but I figured out the issue, my wrist sling (wich I have never used untill now) was causing torque to the left. So after re adjusting rest by paper tune,and doing a walk-back my arrow is closer to center....needless to say I ditched the sling, it just wasent for me.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Lazer.....but I figured out the issue, my wrist sling (wich I have never used untill now) was causing torque to the left. So after re adjusting rest by paper tune,and doing a walk-back my arrow is closer to center....needless to say I ditched the sling, it just wasent for me.
Sounds like you might of had the thing on WAY too tight.

I never fully trust the laser.... its only as straight as the side of the riser is parrallel to the path of the string. They are seldom if ever perfect... its about like bore sighting; makes people feel good, but I can usually get closer by standing 10 feet in front of the thing and looking at the alignment. No matter what though... gotta shoot it. Glad she came around for you.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The sling was definately too tight.It is there to catch the bow only,it should be very loose.

I concur with swamps opinion on centershot lasers.BUT,I like the spot hogg laser for setting cam alignment and so forth,provided you can do it at full draw.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The sling was definately too tight.It is there to catch the bow only,it should be very loose.

I concur with swamps opinion on centershot lasers.BUT,I like the spot hogg laser for setting cam alignment and so forth,provided you can do it at full draw.
You know I like that bow plane one.... and not for the laser but I like the bow square it comes with. You can take the actual arrow you are going to be shooting and screw the insert into the fork end. Most bow squares are WAY too fat for modern carbons. I'm still using one of the old blue flat ones.... serves its purpose for a start.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I got one too. I like it.I wouldn't buy a bow without lasering it for lean. Man, I took that laser into a shop here in MD, and I thought the owner was going to have a fit. All I was doing was checking his bows. And most had some lean.Not sure why he was so bent.

I have every centershot known to man, and all suck. those stupid things you put into the allen screws, those golden key things you put flat on the side of a riser. I can set it easier by eyeballing.

Quick Reply: Center shot and paper tuning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.