Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 removing fletching & glue from carbon arrows >

removing fletching & glue from carbon arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

removing fletching & glue from carbon arrows

Old 04-04-2003, 07:54 AM

Default removing fletching & glue from carbon arrows

hi what do you guys use to remove the fletching and glue from carbon arrows.
thanks alot
buzzer
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: removing fletching & glue from carbon arrows

Buzzer, I don' t know what brand arrows you use, but I shoot Gold Tips, and I will tell you the way i do it that works great. I contacted Gold Tip about doing it and this is what they suggested . I use Acetone. Take a dull knife ( I use an old fillet knife) and cut off the fletching as far down to the shaft as you can, but do not dig into the shaft. It is ok if the base of the vane is still on the shaft. Take the nock out and then soak the shaft in the acetone to just above the vane. I use an old flower vase that allows me to soak 5 shafts at once. Let them soak about 15 minutes. Then take them out and wipe off the shaft real good with a rag with acetone on it. It usually be will be completely gone, but you may have to soak it a little longer if there is alot of glue on it. Then be sure to use warm water and a little soap to wash the shaft of the acetone. Be SURE to do this outside in a well ventilated area and wear rubber gloves ( I use the thin medical gloves). Another guy on another forum checked with Gold Tip also and they told him it was fine to soak their shafts. He contacted Beman and they said that they didn' t suggest it for theirs. So you might want to contact the maker of yours and ask them. I have been doing it this way for about 3 years now and have never had a problem. It is a very quick and easy way. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 AM

I have a great new tip for removing glue on carbons. Using a knife can get tricky as its easy to gouge the carbon. I still remove the fletching with a knife, then I slide a 8" piece of 2314 alum shaft over the carbon arrow. grab the alum shaft and rub the cut end into the glue residue. The sharp cut edges of the alum scrape up the glue and it is imposible to really gouge the carbon.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:29 AM

proff, thanks for the reply i use gold tips 55/75 and will try your method, do you think it will harm the camo finish?
thanks buzzer
Old 04-04-2003, 08:31 AM

I use a dull knife to carefully scrape all of the vane off. I then lightly steel wool the end and wash it with comet. After it has dried, I wipe down the end of the shaft with isopropyl alcohol and refletch after it has evaproated.

This method doesnt work well with the ICS camo shafts as of 2002, because the finish likes to come off along with the adhesive. Haven' t checked to see if they' ve changed their finishing method this year or not.

* If you are careful with the camo shafts, and only lose some of the finish under the three glued areas, you can refletch over the same spots if you set your jig up right.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Buzzer, no it will not hurt the camo finish. I just did some camo shafts last week with no problems. Gold Tip said that this method can be used with all of their shafts. You will be amazed how quick and easy it works, and how well it will clean them. remember to clean them really well with soap and water when you are done or the acetone can leave a white residue and the glue won' t stick well. But cleaning them really good makes them like new. Have fun.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:05 PM

So where do u get ACETONE....cheaply??
Old 04-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

corey006, I got my last can at Wal mart. Any hardware store or paint store will have it. But Wal mart had it real cheap.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:06 PM

proff, i got some acetone from wal-mart [$ 2.99 quart] and tried your method
it works great, thanks alot.
buzzer
Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Good deal. Glad I could help buzzer.

Quick Reply: removing fletching & glue from carbon arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.