Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question >

Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

Old 03-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

Last year, several of you helped me as a newcomer to bowhunting. I got myself in good enough shape to hunt but this year, I want to make some improvements to my equipment so i can focus simply on practicing, and not goofing around with adjustments.

I definately need a new bow sight, as mine allows very little pin adjustment. It is old and in bad shape. Any suggestions here are appreciated.

Second, I believe I should consider a new arrow rest. I have read a little about drop aways, but must admit, i still don' t know much about them, nor do i know if they are suitable for my old bow.

Last, given the age of my bow, am I throwing money at a bow that will never shoot like newer ones? It is 10 years old and some of you have said it is a fine bow, so that was good enough for me. But now that I am looking into new rests and sights, maybe I need a new bow. I don' t want to spend the money on one if you think mine is suitable for improving and these accessories will make a difference. I guess worst case, if i get a new bow next year, the rest and sight can go on the new bow, right?

Thanks for you help.

david
Old 03-30-2003, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

Teal,
As far as a new sight goes, I would in a Archery Scope, they are much more reliable. For a new rest, I would focus on getting a Whisker rest. Although I am not a big fan of them and do not use them, they are very good for manuvering with a nocked arrow. Yes, you will lose some a few fps with this but for manuvering i would choose this rest. If you are looking for a new bow, I would check out hoyt' s line up. For around 325-350 you can get the MT Sport which is a bow I have shot and for the money is worth it. I Hope i could help
Old 03-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

I wouldn' t get too all-fired extavagent with rests and sights and stuff for that ol' Hoyt. I' ve got a couple just like it and enjoy shooting them as much as any bow currently on the market. Problem with it is it won' t shoot like newer bows. The FastFlight isn' t a slouch, but most new bows will give the speed you get out of that one at 10 pounds less draw weight. You' d be better off saving your money and put high dollar accessories on a new high dollar bow.

Update your FastFlight with inexpensive stuff to get you thru while saving up for the new bow. For now, I' d stick with a basic rest like the GKF TM Hunter or Star Hunter (@$15) and an inexpensive, all metal, fiber optic sight, like something from Cobra or TruGlo (@$30). That setup won' t hurt your wallet too bad and is entirely functional. Doesn' t have a lot of bells and whistles or glamour, but it will put meat on the table as long as you do your part.