Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Advantages & Disadvantages of peep size? >

Advantages & Disadvantages of peep size?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Advantages & Disadvantages of peep size?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Advantages & Disadvantages of peep size?

I currently have a standard old plastic peep site on my bow and the other night I decided to take a shot at a deer in very low light and when I looked through my peep I could barely see a thing so im curious, Would a bigger peep help with this? Ive noticed that the G5 meta peeps come in several different sizes so what are the advantages and disadvantages of different peep sizes?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Advantages & Disadvantages of peep size?

Well in low light, a bigger peep is better. 1/4".....5/16" is a decent size. but they can only do so much when it's dark. I'm sure they make bigger. I like the Specialty Super Ball Peep kit. It comes with 3 or 4 different interchangable apertures, that you can easily change with the peep still in the string. I use this because I do some target shooting in the offseason and like to use the smallest peep I can see through for it.

I shoot better at longer ranges with a smaller peep, and I'll try to size the aperture so I just barely see the ring around my sight housing at full draw. For hunting, I'll go bigger, but not to big, or shoot the Specialty peep with no aperture in it.

Fletcher makes cheap peep sight, but it's a good piece, and theyhave a bunch of sizes. You just have to mess with whatever size you like......and can see through.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only advantage of a smaller size aperture peep is precision in normal lighting. I use the biggest peep I can find and while it offers MUCH better low light capability,it don't sacrifice as much precision as you would think. I'm not any kind of great shot but at 35 yards I can still get grouping in bottom of a pop can-that's plenty good enough for my purposes.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Spike

What part of Wewa do you live in? ha, ha. I was raised In Port St.Joe. Get a Fletcher Max Hunter 1/4" and shoot with both eyes open.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Up A Tree

What part of Wewa do you live in? ha, ha. I was raised In Port St.Joe. Get a Fletcher Max Hunter 1/4" and shoot with both eyes open.
I live in honeyville. Small world.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I found that i prefer a kisser button and I dont use a peep. I make sure i have three points of reference for my anchor. and have never had a problem. Voila!! no low light issue

Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: live2Draw

I found that i prefer a kisser button and I dont use a peep. I make sure i have three points of reference for my anchor. and have never had a problem. Voila!! no low light issue
Same here, never had to use a peep.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Smaller peep = more precise sight alignment and better accuracy.
Larger peep = more light gathering and better target acquisition.
It's a trade-off but for hunting I guess you've discovered that bigger than what you have is going to be better.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting, bigger is better period. A larger apeture can afford you a few extra minutes of valuable shooting light. In a hunting situation the amount of precision given up with a larger peepis far outweighed by target visibility and aquisition.

Shane
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Up A Tree

That is the real kicker right there.

The reason that you'll shoot better at greater distance with a smaller peep is that a fair amount of the minor incosistancies you'll have in your shooting will be due to your eye not being in exactly the same spot with respect to your sights and subseqently your arrow. 1/8" at the bow can equal 8" at 40 yards.

Your eyeball automatically wants to put the pin you are going to use in the dead center of your peep. Lots of folks will tell you to align the edge of your peeps inner ring with the outer ring on your sight. That works perfectly, so long as the pin you are using is dead in the center of your bracket.... and unless you shoot a single pin slider sight... it hardly ever is. So while you'll try and line up that peep with the bracket.... you'll move your head up or down slightly to center the pin you are going to use in that peep. Honestly, thats O.K.... as long as you do it exactly the same every time!!!!

With hunting... larger is good... but not always better. You are no doubt probably closing one eye.... and that right there is cutting off half of your light pick-up right off the top. Unless you are left eye dominant and shooting right handed.... there is ZERO reason for you to be shooting with one eye closed. Granted, its the middle of the season and its gonna be hard to change now... but make it a priority. I recommend either a 3/16" or a 1/4" peep for hunting... 3/16" if your sight bracket is under 2" in diameter and 1/4" if its over 2" in diameter.

Some folks don't use a peep.... and some even shoot very well without one. In my experience, they are the exception. I was brought up shooting with one... honestly... I'm not sure how exactly you can maintain good form, have your nose on the string... see your sight.... and see your target, without moving your head? Whenever I try and shoot without a peep... I have the string in front of my shooting eye. Moreover... i have big old catfish lips... and a kisser button ain't too easy on them! Whatever works for you though!

Quick Reply: Advantages & Disadvantages of peep size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.