Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Center Serving on string....?? >

Center Serving on string....??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Center Serving on string....??

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Center Serving on string....??

Why is the center serving on all bow strings so long? Is there really a reason for them to be that long when generally all there ever is on there is maybe a kisser button and a d loop??

The one on my 32'' ata bow is easilly 10''+??? All I have is a nock set and speed button?!?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Center Serving on string....??

Most strings are mass produced so the servings are plenty big to fit a wide variety of bows and shooting styles. The longer servings also help in keeping the serving in place on the string. Other than that most servings could be a lot shorter and still do the job, but the overall advantage probably wouldn't be worth worrying about.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

If you happen to be a fingers shooter then you could have up to 3 fingers below the nock (figure 4" for that).
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotcha! I have a custom string on my bow now, I wonder if it would hurt the next string replacement to have them make it a little shorter?

Not that I really care much about it but would it make the speed faster? I assume you would gain some FPS? Just wondering!!??
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

I gotcha! I have a custom string on my bow now, I wonder if it would hurt the next string replacement to have them make it a little shorter?

Not that I really care much about it but would it make the speed faster? I assume you would gain some FPS? Just wondering!!??
I'm not real sure you'd gain much, serving don't weigh that much. If you don't like what you have, re-serve it or take it to the shop and have them re-serve it for you. "Next String replacement???" I have over 15,000 shots on a set of strings and they are still decent. I've had the center serving redone several times, but the strings themselves are still performing well.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I'm not real sure you'd gain much, serving don't weigh that much. If you don't like what you have, re-serve it or take it to the shop and have them re-serve it for you. "Next String replacement???" I have over 15,000 shots on a set of strings and they are still decent. I've had the center serving redone several times, but the strings themselves are still performing well.
I did that once. And one day, I found out what string failure was all about right at the release. Yea, I don't do that no mo.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I did that once. And one day, I found out what string failure was all about right at the release. Yea, I don't do that no mo.
That will give you a case of target panic that is about impossible to get rid of.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

In my 8 years of working on bows now, I've only had a bow go on me once.... and if everyone in the store didn't hear the smack of what is effectively a dry fire... they heard what I said immediately following ... mostly just because I was shaking off the suprise/scare it gave me. I had the bow on the scale checking the poundage when the cable broke right at the stud (in the loop actually). The guy shot it 7 times right before I put the thing on the scale.... it just decided to go on me I guess.

That dudes string was (by his confession) 6 years old. It was decently cared for (no serious feathers or anything). He told me he doesn't shoot it a heck of a lot, but he was in there to contemplate getting a new string and cable. Immediately following the episode, I advised him that it might be a good idea.

I replace mine every two years, regardless of how "decent" it may look. I do this in February so that I never have to do it in October. I shoot a lot, and I take excellent care of my string, but the vast majority of my shooting is done in the summer.... in the sun and heat... and that (next to fire and sharp objects) are enemies number one and two for a string (and a bow for that matter).

So, just like you big..... I err on the side of precaution.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM

We usually only use about a 4 inch center serving section on ours depending on the make and model bow or if the customer asks for alittle more!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

String is just a couple months over 2 yrs. old. I did replace my strings on my Trykon this year as they were a little over 2 yrs old and WORN. I actually intend on swapping the strings out on the Reflex as well, but mainly for some BETTER quality strings.

Quick Reply: Center Serving on string....??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.