Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sighting in G5 Optix sight - Please help >

Sighting in G5 Optix sight - Please help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting in G5 Optix sight - Please help

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sighting in G5 Optix sight - Please help

I was wondering if anyone has sighted in a G5 optix ME sight or any of their sights with the floating pin? If so can you please give me detailed instructions on how you did this. I have heard you need to set in your floating pin first but I have also heard just set it up like a normal sight. Please help.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in G5 Optix sight - Please help

There really isn't that much to it. However, you definitely need to sight in the floating pin first or you may find yourself starting over if you start with the 20 yd pin and work your way down.

If you are like most shooters the floating pin will start at 50 yds. Turn the dial so that the 50 yd pin is as high as it will go but with the dial clicked into position. You will know what I'm talking about when you rotate the dial and feel it click as you turn. Then sight in the 50 yd pin at 4 yds by moving the whole housing for your vertical adjustment. This is easy to accomplish with the micro-adjust. You want to be hitting dead center at 40 yds.

If you do not have a 50 yd range or you aren't that stable shooting at 50 yds right now the 4 yd sighting in will help you get the sight pretty close for setting the rest of your pins.

Use the sheet that comes with the instructions and set the pin spacing based on the velocity of one of your arrows. If you do not have the velocity I'd try 265 as a starting point for 20 yds. This will get you pretty close. If you find you've moved the 20 yd pin as low as it will go then adjust the whole housing down.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Davepjr71,

When you say sight in the 50 yard pin at 4yd do you mean 4yards or 40yards I got kind of confused when you said I should be shooting at dead center at 40 yards.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am shooting about 280fps so I guess I would use the 275 chart?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

In response to your 1st question: An arrow travels in anarc or parabolaand as a result crosses your sight plane in 2 places when you shoot. Same principal as a rifle. Therefore, if you had a pin sighted in for 50 yds it would also be on at 4 to 5 yds.This is why if you shoot your 20 yd pin at 10 yds it will typically shootlow and why people say that under 10 yds to not use your 20 yd pin or you will be very low.

For the second question the 275 will get you close. If you wanted to you could use the 275 before even going to the range and then adjust the housing vertically. Just make sure the 50 yd pin is the whole way up or you will be sighting in all of them again.

Hope this helped you out and enjoy shooting. The ME is a great sight.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Cool thanks, do you know by chance where the bottom pin would hit if I decided to tsight it in at 60 yards? I was thinking of using my pins as follows: 30,40,50,60(floating). So maybe if I sight in the bottom pin at 6-7yards away that would be closer to 60yards?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Katera XLat 70lbs, 30.5" draw and the sight I bought has the small sight ring and I have pins set at 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 yds without a problem(you can either buy one with a small sight ring 2" or the 2 3/8" ring)...The sight moves up and down by turning a allen head screw for each. You don't have to lock it down just turn it and forget. The pins go up in down in a somewhat different way. You have 2 allen heads for each pin. IE if you want to move the pin down you loosen the bottom screw and tighten the top then tighten the bottom. It probably sounds hard but it's really easy. You can also move the pins right and left which for the most part I don't touch.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chris:

You can try and do that and see what happens.However, you will not be able to use the pictures to set up the other pins. I can shoot out to 80 yds or so with the floating pinwith mycurrent setup.

Hoyt:

You can not be talking about the Optix ME with your description of the 2 sizes for the sight ring or the vertical adjustment of the sight. There is only 1 sight window and you adjust the ME vertically by loosening up the lock down Allen bolt and turning thethumb wheel at the bottom. Horizontal adjustment is accomplished in the same manner. For each pin you have a lock down Allen screw on the front and an adjustment Allen screw on the side that works like a worm gear. You loosen up the lock down screw and then turn the adjustment screw.

One recommendation I make to everyone that buys one of these sights. Go to your local hardware store and by the smallest lock washers they sell and put one under each lock down screw on the front of the pin. You will never have to worry about breaking the screw or the pin coming loose.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

I got it pretty well dialed in today at my lunch break and feel I am on the right track Thanks for your help!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Dave,

I was looking in two places at once and posted the wrong spot...dah!!! I was talking about a Spot Hogg Hogg it with a wrap.

Quick Reply: Sighting in G5 Optix sight - Please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.