Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How do you choose right arrow spine?? >

How do you choose right arrow spine??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do you choose right arrow spine??

Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Default How do you choose right arrow spine??

Do you basically choose your arrow spine off of what an arrow chart says is correct for your specs, or do you base it off of something else. If so, how? I have shot many different arrows and spines through paper at close range (only like 2 feet to make sure arrow comes out clean). I've gotten bullets with pretty much all of them. So what would dictate what is the right spined arrow for my bow? Arrow chart or other??
Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you choose right arrow spine??

Alot of bare shaft testing over the years with a lot of different bows

Now days I use a computer program Archers Advantage.

It gets me real close then I bare shaft and if need make some minor changes.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

In general, you can use the arrow manufacturers tables to get you in the ballpark, then use bareshaft tuning to determine if your are stiff or weak and adjust your draw weight accordingly. The Carbon Express sight has a great worksheet for determining "Adjusted Draw Weight".

As an alternative, you can leave your draw weight alone and start with your arrows a little on the long side. Bareshaft tune and then continually cut the arrows down in 1/4" increments until you achieve good results with the bareshaft tune. BTW: this is a royal PITA if you don't have your own arrow saw.

Or as Ausie-guy said, you can use one of the computer programs On Target, Archers Advantage or The Archery Program, and work out the number to give you a near perfectly spined arrow with your particular setup.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Question, How do you bareshaft tune?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ken3g

Question, How do you bareshaft tune?

OOhhh... no you didn't

That's a big question with a long answer. In short, you compare how your bow is "throwing" fletched arrow and unfletched arrows at various distances. As to the actual "how"...type it in google or wait for someone who's better at it than me and has more patience

I was gonna say OnTarget2 to the original question. Find a shop that has the program or get someone one here to run all your numbers through it. There are some other programs that will do it too. It's impressive how close they can get most the time.

I believe OT2 has a free, but "abbreviated" version, if you're on a PC. You could play around with it. Or just spend the $20 or $30 and buy the whole thing. I think it would be worth if you have more than one bow or if you buy more than a dozen shafts a year @$80+/doz.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for answer Soilarch.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:58 PM

My specs are 29 inch draw, 29 inch arrow, 60-70 lb single cambow (currently set at 66 lbs). Bow's IBO rated up to 318 fps and I use 100 grain tips. If someone has the software to run my specs for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have both archers advantage and on target 2 and imo,archers advantage is easier to use(especially for the novice )and more accurate than ot2.

I like to check spine with a bareshaft through paper at real close distance,but that requires really good form and shot execution.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I like to check spine with a bareshaft through paper at real close distance, but that requires really good form and shot execution.
Indeed it does! I have many hours of pain and frustration (that I shared with TFOX among others) chasing 'bow' issues that were really me issues! However, shooting a bare shaft through paper can be very informative relative to arrow spine, clearance, nock point, all manner of good stuff.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Ausie Guy! He ask questions and runs the program and it's worked great so far.The local shops go by gut feeling and a chart in a book...I could train a chimp to read and follow charts! I had no idea there was so many varitables that could help in arrow selection...thanks Russ.