Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Axis Inserts With Epoxy--Removal? >

Axis Inserts With Epoxy--Removal?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Axis Inserts With Epoxy--Removal?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Axis Inserts With Epoxy--Removal?

I purchased some arrows about 4.5 inches too long that already had inserts epoxied inside. I cut the arrows to the proper length for me. This cut off a small portion of the arrow that contains the old insert. I am installing new inserts into the arrows but would like to save the old ones for spares.

Any ideas on how to remove the old inserts for spares??

Thanks in advance.

LT
Old 04-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Axis Inserts With Epoxy--Removal?

Since it doesn't matter about the shaft piece around the old insert I would try using heat. You could try a heat shrink gun (blow dryer on multiple steroids LOL) or I would even give a torch a try. If you have an insert tool I would put that in, heat the shaft piece surrounding the insert and then grab it (shaft piece)with pliers and give it a twist. That may break the seal and then it should come right out.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are only about 50 cents each. Just buy some more if you think you will need a spare or two.
Of course I am not too sure why would need a "spare" HIT insert.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have stripped the fletching and cut the arrows from the nock end then re-fletched them.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I would have stripped the fletching and cut the arrows from the nock end then re-fletched them.
lolNow you tell'm.

Ya got 4 to become an expert on the removal of inserts, bound to pay off here!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

You'll be able to pull them with heat. If you don't have an insert tool to heat, screw in a field point and use some pliers, heat the pliers which will transfer the heat to the field point in turn loosening the epoxy, apply pressure (pull) the entire time and it will pull the inserts out. Even though your not using the cut end of the arrow anymore, applying flame to the carbon will burn it emitting obnoxious gases. On a good arrow, it will destroy the carbon as well.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 AM

X2. Unless you had some really fancy cresting/fletching on there.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Spike

Hey Rob/PA Boyer,......could that technique be used to cure the wobble from a wrongly placed insert by pulling it then reseating it? When I do a dozen, about 1/3 wobble when put on my spin tester even though I used the same ammount of epoxy on each one and follow the directions word for word etc.I thought I was stuck with wobbly arrows but I wonder if this is a way to cure that?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deroche117

Hey Rob/PA Boyer,......could that technique be used to cure the wobble from a wrongly placed insert by pulling it then reseating it? When I do a dozen, about 1/3 wobble when put on my spin tester even though I used the same ammount of epoxy on each one and follow the directions word for word etc.I thought I was stuck with wobbly arrows but I wonder if this is a way to cure that?
It sounds more like your shaft is cut unevenly. Try squaring off the end of the shaft before putting in your inserts.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Even though your not using the cut end of the arrow anymore, applying flame to the carbon will burn it emitting obnoxious gases. On a good arrow, it will destroy the carbon as well.
Perhaps I should have been more clear. You don't have to actually put it IN the flame to use the flame to heat it. I would never recommend even heating a good arrow as that could break down the shaft in a way that may not be visible.

Quick Reply: Axis Inserts With Epoxy--Removal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.