Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Chappy boss?

Old 02-09-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Chappy boss?

I shot at a 3D tournement yesterday and finally got fed up with myself. So, i stopped by the store i work at to have my boss order me a release. Ive never shot back tension but ive heard its gunna help, along with some other types of methods of breaking target panic. He showed me the chappy boss, which was my first choice, and then the tru ball 3d puller. Anyone ever shot these releases? How do they work and will they help?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Chappy boss?

I have the Tru-ball Extreme with Talon head.
It is simular the the chappy boss.
They do work and will help some when it comes to target panic.
The best thing I would suggest is when you get one is to blind bale so you can feel the release go off.
I usually start my practice sessons of with blind baleing my first 5 shots.
Also keep your thumg pointing towards the ground as you draw when you come to anchor and have sighted wrap your thumb so you are touching your index finger then squeeze your shoulder blades together.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 02-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunter9022, the ChappyBoss is a great release, you should like it.

Just one little clarification though. The ChappyBoss, or any other release that uses a thumb, pinky, or index finger to activate a trigger mechanism, is not a backtension release.

A chappyboss is no more a BT release than is the truball tornado.

Backtension could, and usually does help with TP, but I am guessing that if you already have a good dose of TP, you will want to try a real backtension release. Truball has a nice one...ultra sweet spot.
Stanislawski makes them, as does zenith, carter, and a few others.

Will the chappy help your TP? It might, simply because it is something new to you.
For me personally, I find that if I am getting a little jumpy on the release, going to my chappy(I have two of them)just makes it worse. If, on the other hand, I am shooting good,making good releases, I can shoot the heck out of a chappyboss.

Target panic can be relatively easy to break, or it can drive you out of the game. What works for one person, may not work for you.

I agrre with Ausie-guy about blind bale shooting. It works for alot of people. It sure has helped me several times.

Good Luck

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 02-15-2003, 07:11 PM

I agree that the Chappy Boss is not a BT release although I do know of some BT shooters that do use it. I own one with the Talon head and it is a great release. It has two seperate adjustment screws and the trigger is also adjustable and so is the head position. I have had both Carter and TruBall release' s and although they are both superior releases, my personal favorite is the TruBall.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the Chappy is not a true back tension but it can be shot as if it were.The trigger must be set to fit in the palm of your hand as you start using your back muscles the release will go off.Hard to describe but it can be done.

The Chappy is most likely not the choice if target panic is a problem.Most that I know that suffer from target panic and that use the Chappy have more problems with panic when using it.

I use the Chappy and love it but it isn' t for everyone.

I would suggest the Stanski release.ST-1, 2, or 3 depending on your hand size.It is a back tension that will not go off premature and requires no set triggers to make that possible.

it is available at www.specialtyarch.com