Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow) >

Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

I would like to get the opinions of my fellow hunters. What is your theory on arrow weight and speed? Lets say 20 yard shot whats the difference in a light arrow traveling 310fps versus a heavy arrow traveling 240fps. I mean I know the speed is better the longer the shot but Dont you think in theory that in short shots the speed makes up for the weight difference?
I know this is a big debate. I just would like to get everyones opinions. Light and fast does it equal heavy and slow??????
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Honestly it really depends on what you consider "heavy" and what you consider "light". ? Which would correspond to KE and momentum.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 PM

I have arrows that vary from 355 grains to 525 grains. There isn't much difference out to 30 yards, which is where a majority of game is taken. But at 50 yards and beyond (wheresomewestern biggame is engaged)the point of impact changecan be thedifference between a hit and a miss. I have tried to stick with a medium weight arrow (410 grains) and always use a lazer range finder for shots beyond 30 yards.

The justification for the heavy arrow seems to be diminshing, in my opinion. The small diameter arrows combined with today's superior broad heads give more than adequate penetration in a 60 lb. plus compound bow. I enjoy shooting the heavy arrows (smooth and quiet), but these new Axis arrows give the best of both worlds. Penetration of a heavy arrow with the trajectory of a medium weight arrow.

I could still make a case for the light arrow when it comes to smaller game, like antelope, that might be taken at long range.Maybe setting upa dedicated bow for antelope. A PSE X Force that shoots real light 3-D arrows tipped with Rage two blade expandables. But for deer and elk, current set up is working fine.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
bigcountry

I am a medium wieght and good speed type of guy. I like shooting at least 450gr and all my bow shoot em over 270fps. Thats produces some great penetration.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I am a medium wieght and good speed type of guy. I like shooting at least 450gr and all my bow shoot em over 270fps. Thats produces some great penetration.
I wish I could do that.

BUT,my philosophy is pretty much the same but my 360-380 grain arrows are considered extremly light by most but I only hunt with 58#'s and have NO problems with penetration.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I wish I could do that.

BUT,my philosophy is pretty much the same but my 360-380 grain arrows are considered extremly light by most but I only hunt with 58#'s and have NO problems with penetration.
This is what Grains I will be around and I was told I was nuts! Im gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:59 AM

Ahhh, nevermind....[&:]
Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes, they say the proof is in the pudding.

290 grain arrow, 29", 70#, over 350 fps. HCA Iron Mace. Speed Pro Carbon Revolution 5.5 gpi arrows.

38 yards, passthrough.

18 yards. Passthrough.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is this a spinnerbait or a buzzbait? I don't think I'm gonna bite this time. [8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Is this a spinnerbait or a buzzbait? I don't think I'm gonna bite this time. [8D]
Proof is in the puddin!!! Nice shooting Quick...

Quick Reply: Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.