Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead weight >

Broadhead weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead weight

Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Broadhead weight

Now that the temp. has dropped into the single digits here in NW WI and my bow tag has been filled, I thought I would find out just exactly what my broadheads really weigh. I've been shooting 125 grain Thunderheads out of a PSE Thunderbolt, w/overdraw and like these broadheads as thye've performed well for me.
Being bored one Sunday I thought I'd weigh a new box of six Thunderheads and the 18 blades that came with. Weighing was done on an RCBS electronic bullet and powder scale that was set to weigh in grains.
The broadhead bodies weighed 98.1, 97.7, 97.9, 97.5, 97.5 and 98.3 grains with an average of 97.8 grains. Twelve of the blades weighed 14.0 grains and six weighed 13.9 grains, so I would consider the blades to be extremely consistant. Totaling up the weight of three blades and using the average weight of the broadhead body, I came up with a weight of 139.7 grains, which is 14.7 grains over the claimed 125 grains of these broadheads. I don't consider this a big deal, because the excersize showed me that the weight is at least consistant. Anyone else tried weighing your broadheads.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead weight

That's interesting. I don't have a scale, so I've been taking the manufacturers word for it. If somebody were on the edge of being underspined, and their broadheads were 15 grains heavier than advertised, it could be a real problem.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

I am really suprised that the Thunderheads are that heavy. The consistency I to be expected, but that weight is what I would consider to be way off.

Just a quick thought, did you perform any other weight checks like weighing a known weight to what the scale says? Not questioning your method, just wondering if the scale is way off????
Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Yes I have weighed broadheads before and have found the same as you hardly any of them came in at advertised weight.

I always weigh my target tips and usually have to go through 3 or 4 hundred tips to get 12 that weigh the same.

The only consistancy I have found is inconsistancy
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ElevatedPredator

Now that the temp. has dropped into the single digits here in NW WI and my bow tag has been filled, I thought I would find out just exactly what my broadheads really weigh. I've been shooting 125 grain Thunderheads out of a PSE Thunderbolt, w/overdraw and like these broadheads as thye've performed well for me.
Being bored one Sunday I thought I'd weigh a new box of six Thunderheads and the 18 blades that came with. Weighing was done on an RCBS electronic bullet and powder scale that was set to weigh in grains.
The broadhead bodies weighed 98.1, 97.7, 97.9, 97.5, 97.5 and 98.3 grains with an average of 97.8 grains. Twelve of the blades weighed 14.0 grains and six weighed 13.9 grains, so I would consider the blades to be extremely consistant. Totaling up the weight of three blades and using the average weight of the broadhead body, I came up with a weight of 139.7 grains, which is 14.7 grains over the claimed 125 grains of these broadheads. I don't consider this a big deal, because the excersize showed me that the weight is at least consistant. Anyone else tried weighing your broadheads.
I deal with commercial scales as part of my work. My first question when dealing with a scale is "Was it tested for accuracy using a known test weight?" Although your scale shows itself to be precise (able to repeat the same reading); you'd be surprised how inaccurate (unable to hit the true weight) it may be.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 PM

As I said in the beginning, this is my powder and bullet scale (RCBS electronic) and I use it for reloading ammunition regularly. It is ZEROED and calibrated with the accompanying weight standard before any serious weighing is begun. When I recently weighed some 7mm, 140 grain Barnes X-bullets for our gun-deer season, these bullets weighed within a couple of tenths of the box weight. So, I am very confident that this scale is on the money when I weigh bullets and powder charges that are near maximum loads.
My next project is to weigh some WASP 100 grain broadheads and blades. Keep in mind thatalong with the bodies and blades I weigh washers that are included (to hold the blades in place) and o-rings used to clock the broadhead into alignment with the vanes as these add to the working weight also.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM

I have weighed my 85 grian thunderheasds and they have all way came out with in 3 grians of each other.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ratus

Yes I have weighed broadheads before and have found the same as you hardly any of them came in at advertised weight.

I always weigh my target tips and usually have to go through 3 or 4 hundred tips to get 12 that weigh the same.

The only consistancy I have found is inconsistancy

I've never seen ya weigh anything except your big head.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Screw in field points can be really bad.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: ElevatedPredator

I deal with commercial scales as part of my work. My first question when dealing with a scale is "Was it tested for accuracy using a known test weight?" Although your scale shows itself to be precise (able to repeat the same reading); you'd be surprised how inaccurate (unable to hit the true weight) it may be.
My thoughts exactlyMost Broadheads I have checked with my Digital grain scales are extremely close

Dan