Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 carbon arrow inserts >

carbon arrow inserts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon arrow inserts

Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Spike

Default carbon arrow inserts

Is there any way to remove the inserts from a carbon shaft without doing any damage to the shaft. I want to align the broadheads with the fletch. I really don't want to refletch my arrows which I think is my only alternative.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: carbon arrow inserts

Sometimes you can remove inserts by screwing a field tip in and carefully heating up the tip only. The heat will transfer to the insert then to the glue and you should be able to pull the insert out. Be very careful not to heat the carbon just the field tip and don't use too much heat. Then use a 24 hour epoxy to reinstall the inserts and orient your blades the way you want. Just curious as to why you feel the need to align your blades? I have seen no real advantage or disadvantage to doing so. Unless it is to clear an arrow holder or something of that nature.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 AM

Inserts are glued in carbon arrows w/ super glue type glue, not hot melt. If that arrow gets too hot, it's ruined. (And yes, that's experience talking.)

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Spike

3303, I have found that my arrow fight is not so good if my bh and fletch don't match up.
Maybe my tuning needs to be worked on? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bigtbird

Is there any way to remove the inserts from a carbon shaft without doing any damage to the shaft. I want to align the broadheads with the fletch. I really don't want to refletch my arrows which I think is my only alternative.

Who ever told you to align your broad heads with your fletch, will probably tell you to heat the end of your arrow... Don't even worry about aligning the broad heads, test have proved it does not effect the fight. You can if you just want them to be pretty.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Mobow is right, a carbon arrow is very easily damaged by too much heat, but even with the super glue type glues I have been able to remove inserts from shafts. I have ruined my fair share in the past also. Just be very careful and do not heat too long and sometimes twisting the insert and field tip will help break the glue loose.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

These guys are right. Aligning broadhead with fletching is an old wives tale, carried over from the days when everybody shots recurves and longbows. AND, heat on a carbon arrow is just leading to disaster.

If you absolutely need to align them the best way is to strip the arrow and refletch it, orienting the nocks before fletching to get the desired alignment.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM

There is no aerodynamic reason for positioning your fletching based on the broadhead. Airflow that far downstream of the blades is probably laminar and quite uniform. Maybe it would make sense if your vanes were very very close behind the blades (1" or less), but in that case you'd probably want to make sure that they are NOT aligned. Not sure what you would do with such an arrow though.

ORIGINAL: bigtbird

3303, I have found that my arrow fight is not so good if my bh and fletch don't match up.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Spike

Well, I'm totally confused!! I know that I have read where the bh should line up with the fletch.
It seemed to make sense to me, for I couldn't get an arrow to fly well unless they were lined up.
Maybe it's time to check over my set up a little more thoroughly. I'm shooting an old carbon extreme
( I know, it's archaic, but I've killed 4 deer with it this year ( a 3 pointer, 6 and a 7 ) and I have also killed
2 eight pointers with it ). I'm also shooting Bemans ICS Venture 500's, 29 inch at 62 pounds, topped with 100 grain Muzzy's.
This arrow is passing through the Whisker Biscuit. I know that the arrow may be some what light, but it sure works for me.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Spike

I left out two things. I use a Scott Mongoose release and my arrow is fletched with feathers.

Quick Reply: carbon arrow inserts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.