Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is this broadhead any good?    Vortex Broadhead Pro Extreme 100-grain??? >

Is this broadhead any good? Vortex Broadhead Pro Extreme 100-grain???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this broadhead any good? Vortex Broadhead Pro Extreme 100-grain???

Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this broadhead any good? Vortex Broadhead Pro Extreme 100-grain???

Has anyone ever tried this broad head? If so, how did it work for you?

It has a 2-1/2" cutting width.[:-]

Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is this broadhead any good? Vortex Broadhead Pro Extreme 100-grain???

I quite using gimmick broadheads. I did use Grim Reapers, in my opinion the best of the mech. I've gone to Muzzy Phantoms 220 grain total arrow weight of 542 grains with FOC of 21 %. The blades are .040 in thickness.

I don't like anything that moves, it's bound to fail. Most of those blades are too thin for me, since they are trying to keep them in the lighter class 125 grain or lighter.

Look at how far you would have to penetrate before the blades had to cut. I like cut on contact heads..

[/align][/align]
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this broadhead any good? Vortex Broadhead Pro Extreme 100-grain???

Ive used those broadheads for about 5 years and have nothing bad to say about them. Its incorrect to think they have to penetrate very far to work. With the blades closed there is a 3/4" cutting diameter. When they open its amazing how much damage they can do. I have had a problems tuning fixed blades to my currecnt bow and these fly the same as my practice points.

Good shots/bad shots they have always worked correctly for me and would highly recommend them.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any head with a cutting width like that needs to be used on a bow that churns out gobs and gobs of energy. Not to mention that flat blade angle, more of a chopping cut than a slice. That demands even more energy. If it was me, I wouldn't use that head with anything less than a 70 lb high performance bow.

Well, to be totally honest, I wouldn't use it at all. But if I DID use it, I'd make sure I had enough bow to shove it through the critter.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

I also like fixed blades too. I use Muzzy and this year tried Slick Tricks. I shoot 100 gr 4 blades w/ 1” cut. I like the smaller cut because it’s less likely to wind plane. Most of my deer go 30-50 yards. The one I shot Monday went a little less than 30 yards and fell over. The thing is you don’t need a large cut head to knock then down, just a good shot. Large cut heads only help with bad shots in tracking, but do not guarantee recovery.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

I have had a problems tuning fixed blades to my currecnt bow and these fly the same as my practice points.

Good shots/bad shots they have always worked correctly for me and would highly recommend them.

You need to learn to tune your bow. Thats the biggest misconception is that fixed broadheads and field tips do not fly the same. A well tuned bow will toss out arrows the same way each time.

Also I agree with Art... You have to have the power to push that broadhead through. I do have the power, that's why I use a 543 grain arrow .

Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM

I use to shoot this BH from a bow that had KE of 60#. They seemed to work well, flew well, andI killed two Bucks with them. The only reason I stopped using themwasI thought betterequipment has been introduced recently. I have always prefered fixed blades, but went to mechanicals when I couldn't get the fixed blades to group. Since then; I have learned it wasn't the BH but the fact my bow wasn't tuned properly.

I now have a new properly tuned bow and can shoot a variety of fixed blade broadheads without problems. I currently shoot slick trick 100's.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Overall the Vlortex/mar-den heads are all well made broadheads. The larger cutting surface the offer can be a help, but you do need to make sure you shooting at least 65lbs with a 28"+ draw length to make sure you get good penetration. Vortex also makes all steel versions of these heads that have smaller cutting diameters that will penetrate better from lesser setups.