Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Elevated Shooting >

Elevated Shooting

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Elevated Shooting

Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Elevated Shooting

I got a new block 4x4 and said its about time to start shooting off an elevated platform. Well the pool deck is only about 5-6 feet but still. I put the target out about 15 yards from the pool deck. I shoot and they were all high with my 20 yard pin but thats norm i thought cuz the target is closer. I moved to 20 yards and all 6 arrows were still high. I moved back to 30 yards still high. Moved back another 5 and they were all still high. What does this mean my sigt is high or is cuz im shooting higher then normally.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elevated Shooting

It' because your are shooting from an elevated position. Your supposed to always aim low from an elevated position.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 AM

aim low or sight in for a tree stand because all my hunting will be out of a tree

Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Spike

I have the same question as BowHunterJim. I have been sighting in at ground level but will be hunting out of a tree only. So I'm about to sight in elevated so should I move my pins or try and aim low all the time.?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Sight in from your elevated position. The only compensation that was needed when der hunting was the drop of the deer because of them jumping the string. With today's advancment in vibration reduction, and noise reduction technology if your bow is shooting quiet there is no need for this "aim low" theory.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 AM

5-6 feet up isn't going to make a bit of difference in the arrow impact. It may make a difference in your form though. Make sure that you come to full draw aiming straight out, then bend at the waist to come down onto the target. Practice this over and over again so that you learn instinctively to bend at the waist and not compromise your form.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 AM

yeah my arm has been killing me from football and its hard to shoot but i got a grp so i will change my sight.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Spike

thanks for the info, I will also change my sights when elevated
Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Spike

test
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the info, I will also change my sights when elevated
NO!!!

If you change your sights for shooting from an elevated platform, then they will be off for shooting on the ground. You'll be a screwed goose if you get a shot opportunity while walking to or from your stand. Learn to shoot properly from an elevated position using your normal sights settings and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Go back and reread Kodiak Archer's response. He is spot on!

Quick Reply: Elevated Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.