Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletching question >

fletching question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching question

Old 08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default fletching question

stupid me...i like to shoot groups. exspecially at longer ranges. brand new arrows and i got atleast 2 with shot off fletchings and a couple that are badly wrinkled. doesnt effect flight till the longer ranges though...i just cant stand the noise they make and want them redone. thing is, the shop i took them to originally is an hour drive away. i got shops alot closer.

i have my blazers on a right offset. say they use a different degree offset(if thats possible with blazers?) or fletch them a little farther back toward the nock than my other ones(they seem to be a little farther than the closer shop fletched my blazers last year) will i notice a difference in flight??

i know i know...buy a fletching jig and do it myself....im gettin there...by next year for sure...sick of dealing with shops...and hate relying on the brainless wonders around here anyways...just havent gotten around to it....
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fletching question

The rule of thumb is the further back the vanes are the more stable the arrow will be.

Also, the more offset they put on the vanes the more they will spin.

In both cases you may have to tune your set-up due to a slightly different flight. However, the flight difference may be so small that you do not have to do a thing to your set-up.

All of this just makes the arrow more stable and helps with tuning issues.

If tuned properly you shouldn't notice a difference between the 2 arrows. You might be able to see the one with more offset rotate more at longer shots but that's about it.

i shot my buddy's arrows with helical and mine with just offset and when my bow was slightly out of tune his arrow flew better for me. After correcting tuning issue and the only difference was the amount of spine on his arrow. They both flew well even in wind.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know your brain is a little slow Mauser but just take the pro shop of your choice a fletched arrow and ask them to match that arrow as closely as possible.

DUUUUUUUUUUH!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I know your brain is a little slow Mauser but just take the pro shop of your choice a fletched arrow and ask them to match that arrow as closely as possible.

DUUUUUUUUUUH!
Yeh, nothing hard about this. They may not be willing to change ther jigs for the mount of offset, but they surely can slide the vanes to the same distance from the nock that you presntly have. All ya halve to do is ask.