Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Elevated Shooting >

Elevated Shooting

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Elevated Shooting

Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Default RE: Elevated Shooting

Listen to Arthur, he's correct.

The only important distance is the level, horizontal distance from you to the target. If the base of the tree you're in is on the same level, then the base of the tree to the target is the distance you want to set your pin for. This is why when you use a range finder, you should always hold it level. Take a reading for an object at the same level as you, when figuring distance.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur as usual is right on target.

But there is one thing that I haven't heard anyone list yet... and its really just useful in explaining to you Jim exactly why you are shooting high at 20 from an elevated position.

You have read the posts about everyone telling you to bend at the waist, and Arthur explained how to do that to a "T" (slight pun there). Using you shoulders to for a T, and always keeping the top of you T in a straight line.

The reason you are shooting low is because you are doing what is commonly called "dropping your bow arm". That is changing your form and your shoulders are no longer in a line.

However, the main reason you are shooting high is because in relationship to your bow, arrow and sights, your HEAD (Eye) is in a different position than it is when you shoot at a level to the target. If you are familiar with scope paralax, its acctually the same thing, only an archery version of it.

So while your eye is still behind your peep, and your pin is still centered in your peep, and your pin is on your target, the distance and angle from your eye to your peep to your sights has changed. Multiply that change times the range... and at 20 yards it can be 5-7 inches.

To help you shoot while bending at the waist, give this a try. I'm not sure how you shoot now, but I always shoot, no matter where or how, with my feet almost touching at the heels. It helps me stand up straight, and I can feel if my hips are poking out or if I'm leaning at all. Also, because treestands have a very small platform, it gets me used to shooting that way. I can't shoot from a Derek Jeter position 20 feet up, so I don't try it when I'm on the ground either. Try putting your heels together then bending at the waist... think back to kindergarden and having to sing "I'm a Little Teapot..." The whole tip me over and pour me out thing.... it has some real world application. Childish and silly yes.... but you'll thank Mother Goose when you smoke that deer at 20 yards instead of shooting right over its back.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

aim low
Old 08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot with a No-Peep and no allowances are needed as long as the Black Dot is centered in the Green Circle.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your bow is shooting at a reasonable speed, there shoud be very little difference in the impact between 15 and 20 yards anyway. That is about the difference between shooting a 20yd. level shot, and one that is downhill, but looks like the same distance. Our club has a 15 ft. treestand for practice, and there really is not much difference in the impact between a level 20 yard shot, and a 15 yard treestand shot. The main problems are like Arthur and others stated, maintaining your form when shooting downward. The other thing that may be happening is that you are not following through your shot the same way that you do from a level shooting position. Most people, when leaning over to shoot down, are conscious of bending, and may be in a hurry to "straighten up." If this starts to happen before you have followed through properly, you can also shoot high.