Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Elevated Shooting >

Elevated Shooting

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Elevated Shooting

Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Default RE: Elevated Shooting

now im confused
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

kodiak and arthur are right on. bend at the waist and youll have no problems putting the arrow where you want it

alot of our local 3d shoots have platforms and stands built to shoot from. funny to watch everyone in my group NOT bend at the waist and send them high. even the guy with the kisser button AND peep site not me...thats where i add onto my score. bend at the waist and keep your anchor points the same and youll be fine....make sure you practice it though!! takes a little getting used to
Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM

i dont how it works but many people do so if i bend at my waist it will hit where i want it.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM

True, with bending at the waist and keeping good form. I have almost exclusively been shooting from my hang-on stand, 15 ft up out to 23 yards and this advice holds true. I keep form, use the 20 yard pin and I am good to go when my form and release are good. Practice, practice, practice and you will see.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM

i added a pic and its a good grp but the pin is off cuz i changed it this mornign and needs to be sighted in
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not so sure saying bending at the waist gets the whole meaning across. You want your shoulders in a "T" shape for good form. The top of the T is the line across your shoulders. You want that T pointing at your target, no matter where the target is, in relation to your elevation. You have to bend or lean from the waist to get the T (your shoulders) aligned with the target when the target is either below or above your elevation.

Just keep that in mind at all times and aim your T, your shoulders, while you are aiming your bow.

To get the feel of it, draw and aim level in front of you, HOLD THAT EXACT POSITION, then lean your body down to put your pin on the target.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM

i still dont get this. if this were a world where magic and luck was non existant thsi is how it would be. The arrow when shot off the groundwill drop more then an arrow shot out of a tree because gravity is not affecting an arrow being shot downward.

I could be wrong but that is how i think of this.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

EVERYTHING falls at -9.8m/s if i remember my physics correctly. weather or not your arrow is shot up, down, left or right its still falling a the same rate. drop an arrow and a 20lb weight. i betcha they hit the ground at the same time. if you drop and arrow and shoot and arrow at the same time, from the same exzact height, on a perfectly level plane they will both hit the ground at exzactly the same time...just the way physics works....heck...shot a bullet at the same time as your arrow and its STILL going to hit the ground at the same exzact time as your arrow...itll just be farther away because its traveling faster...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow when shot off the groundwill drop more then an arrow shot out of a tree because gravity is not affecting an arrow being shot downward.
Jim, you're wrong there. Gravity is a constant. It doesn't matter that the arrow is being shot pointed at a downward angle. Gravity will have the same affect on an arrow shotat a target 20 yardsaway from 15 feet upas it does if you shot it from the ground at a target 20 yards away. Either way, the arrow is traveling 20 linear feet (level, straight line distance). True, the actualpath of travel is a couple of feet longer because of the elevated position, but that won't make a difference thatyou can measure. Trust these guys. They know what they're talking about.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

shot a bullet at the same time as your arrow and its STILL going to hit the ground at the same exzact time as your arrow...itll just be farther away because its traveling faster...
Mauser,
True, provided you don't take into account air friction and the curvature of the earth's surface.....

Quick Reply: Elevated Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.