Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Release shooters...D loop, string loop, no loop? >

Release shooters...D loop, string loop, no loop?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release shooters...D loop, string loop, no loop?

Old 01-17-2002, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Release shooters...D loop, string loop, no loop?

If you shoot a loop, which type and state why you like it.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Release shooters...D loop, string loop, no loop?

When you ask, "which type of loop?"- I'm assuming you mean the choice of the metal clamp-on devices or a regular string loop?

I personally hate the metal units on a string. They have no positives to them that a tied string loop cannot do. They weight too much on the string (slows the arrow), they chew up release jaws, and it is money that did not need to be spent. And as Len has mentioned, the weight of that metal unit carries more inertia and makes the string go forward much more on the launch of the arrow. It may be smacking into something on low braceheight bows.

That said- I do like tied string loops for my hunting bows. They are cheap and they work great. I'm still experimenting with target setups to see if I like using a d-loop on the string or using the release rope.

Edited by - Black Frog on 01/17/2002 08:51:40
Old 01-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being new to bowhunting my experience is limited. I use a string loop on the suggestion of the shop I bought the bow from. I felt it would keep the release from wearing the string. Also I can attach the release directly behind the arrow, which seemed to me a better way. It is also lighter than the others made of I don't know what.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:29 AM

D-loop of the string variety.

_________
SuperX
Old 01-17-2002, 08:33 AM

I shoot with a string loop for two reasons.
1- I don't have to worry about the arrow coming off the string if I have to let down after drawing on a deer.
2- I does not wear on the release.

Old 01-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

THE STRING LOOP WORKS THE BEST FOR ME--SAVES ON THE BOWSTRING TOO!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh boy, here it is....METAL LOOP!

I had a string loop come untied once...two chipped teeth a bloody lip and sore jaw later...I put a metal loop on. I've had it for 3 years now with no wear to my release or loop.

Maybe the PRO tied the loop wrong, or not tight enough? I don't know, All I know is I won't use a string loop ever again. This happened after only 50 or so shots, I wasn't impressed.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Jason-

If a string loop comes untied- it was either not tied correctly or the precaution of tying knots or burning balls onto the string ends was not done. When done correctly, there should be no way that a string loop can come untied.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:51 AM

I use a "catfish" string loop. Cheapest method available. Easy to replace, impossible to slip off. Length and thickness can be made exactly how you like it. Weighs less than anything else. Takes a try or two to get a good one made, but very easy once you get the hang of it.

http://www.oneidaeaglebows.com/oneid.../quieting.html
Old 01-17-2002, 10:10 AM

I think you are right Black Frog, but that doesn't mean they won't come loose. There are a lot of people who are cordage challenged. I also doubt there is anyone out there who is actually making cordage for loops, and in many cases the stuff used doesn't melt consistantly. I know that when I went to the PSE shooting school they used both epoxy and melting on the loops, which told me something. I don't do that myself, but I probably would if I charged for my services, and was likely to be sued.

I know all the arguments (well most I suppose) in favour of loops, but I can't prove to my own satisfaction that they add anything to my performance. Now if I was a great shooter where a point spread over the year was a big deal, I might feel differently. Unfortunately I still have some crude erors that need work. (Like if I wanted to shoot better I would need to get some of my own targets, and set them up, so that I could learn distance a little better.)

I shoot a low anchor, under the jaw, and don't really understand why some sight release shooters shoot a corner of the mouth anchor (though I know some who do it really well), It seems a throwback to the days when sight windows in mag risers were very short. I think that if you had a loop unload on you, and had a low anchor, and were shooting with good form so that during the draw phase your points of reference were in place, then I don't think you would wack your mouth. But there you go, another nuance.

The metal loops make absolutely no sense to me. With two stage nocks, the arrow isn't going to fall off you string on the letdown, not the first time around. Other than that, I see no advantage to metal loops, and would certainly prefer to shoot right off the string. That isn't to say that there aren't metal loops that shoot great, but better?

Several posters have mentioned string wear. This is no longer an issue with braided servings. I would rather see someone learn how to maintain their serving, that to install loops, both require only minimal skill, but I think the serving repair is a better skill to know, if you are tech challenged, and had to pick one. You would need to do a prodigious amount of shooting to need to repair your serving, they seem to last as long as loops. This seems another concern that is a throwback to the dark ages, in this case of the nylon serving. Whne I learnt about loops, years ago on the Burley Hall tape, he was preaching serving replacement in the same segment. In other words, part of the loop excitment goes back to a time when not all bows were coming with braided string servings. Shooting off braid is a great solution to all the wear issues. You are left with torque and nock issues. The modern nocks are near perfect on the nock front, though I have to conceed that if you draw back several times, you may loose your arrow off the string. If this ever happens to me hunting, I might feel differently about the merits of the concern. Again nock torgue is an issue that doesn't move me, there may be a few points in it, but I have never seen it.

Metal loops may wear a particular release, so the wear issue doesn't convince me. I fyou are set up properly overall, then it won't matter for any of these systems.

Quick Reply: Release shooters...D loop, string loop, no loop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.