Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Penetration? >

Broadhead Penetration?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Penetration?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Penetration?

I shoot a 45 pound bow and was considering using expandable broadheads this year. Do you think that is enough poundage to get a successful amount of penetration with expandables?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Penetration?

The only expandable I'd even consider at that weight is Rocket Steelheads, and even then I wouldn't consider it long. Get some Magnus Stingers. They are about your best bet at 45 lbs.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

hehe he said pentration.......
Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely not enough poundage to even think about it. I now shoot about 53# to 55# and I won't take the chance. I wouldn't use a mechanical head with anything less than 65#.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok Thanks for the help,and wis bow huntr...im not a he I am a she. Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

No
Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 AM

Hi-I have hunted with 45pds my self-shoulder surgery-.I kept my safe distance to 25 yards.I shot 2 deer with muzzys.I wouldnt shoot a expanding type,i was afraid of it not opening.That just my experience.--AND AS FOR BEING A LADIE--GLAD TOO HAVE YA AROUND!!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks muzzyman. I should be getting my bow pundage increased to 50 here pretty soon so I can put some more energy into those arrows
Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM

It is my understanding that some of the female celebrity archers are shooting the Rage 2 blade expandable from bows in the 45 to 50 pound class with good results. But there are so many good COC heads out there . . . the G5 Montec, Hellrazor, Magnus, Muzzy, etc. If your bow shoots them well I wouldn't even bother with the expandable.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Spike

My grandfather shot a deer 2 yrs ago with a mechanical broadhead and a bow set at 50lbs. Was not pleased at all with the penetration or the damage but like they say, hit them in the right spot and they'll go down.He still shoots a mechanical but idisagree. Iwould recommend afixed blade. In my opinion thereare to many things to worry about witha low poundage like that and the kinetic energy being used to just open the blades. With a fixed broadhead more of your energy will be put towards knock down power and you know what your getting.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Penetration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.