Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 wild boar hunting >

wild boar hunting

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

wild boar hunting

Old 08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default wild boar hunting

Anyone here who shot a few arrows at wild boar ?
There's a chance I'm going on a hunt by the end of October.
I was wondering where the killzone is on these animals.
It's gonna be my first real chance of bowhunting and I don't want to see my first hit run off and get lost.

F.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wild boar hunting

try the hogs and exotics section. The guys in there know everything
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

Anyone here who shot a few arrows at wild boar ?
There's a chance I'm going on a hunt by the end of October.
I was wondering where the killzone is on these animals.
It's gonna be my first real chance of bowhunting and I don't want to see my first hit run off and get lost.

F.
Boar can be tough. I have shot some. Thier heart and lung is more forward. And the shoulder is in the way. The breast bone is about the worst shot you can ask for. As its like armor. You shoot them broadsided like a deer, you might be in for a long track/hunt. They can go forever with a liver/gut shot.

Look for the quarter away broadside shot to get that arrow to the lungs/heart. Use good quality broadheads like muzzy phatoms.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:19 PM

A quartering away shot is more important on a hog than deer even. Boars have heavy "plating" over their shoulder area they use when fighting. You need to hit them a bit farther back than deer and the quartering away angle ensures the arrow gets up into the lung/heart area. You can take them broadside but you need to know where that plating stops and/or have a good fixed blade head with plenty of KE to punch through it.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Frank

Great to hear you finally going on a hunt , where did you find ?.

How much you paying for that , if you don't mind saying .

PM me with details my friend

Dave
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the quartering away- on big pigs.
Just aim low on the regular sized ones.

I've always heard you can't aim too low on a pig, but proved them wrong by cutting the briskit fat on one last year.

To show you how resilient these beast can be here is a couple of pics of a small one I killed last year that took one hit just a little high with a 3 blade 100 grain muzzy. I had just shot its mommy and it didn't run far enough away so it got an arrow too. Well the shot was a little high and I had to climb down from my stand and go track him down. He was with the rest of the pack and I made a wide circle and had three of them in a bush at 10 yards. One by one they pilled out to my right, but the last one- my pig came straight at me so I sunk another 3 blade deep. Beast I tell you

Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice thus far, really good stuff.

I have shot a lions share of them, both from a tree, spot and stalk, and some smaller ones bayed by hounds back in my catch and carry days (what a way to pay for college!).

My broadhead of choice was a 125gr Simmons shark. Very tough, easy to get very sharp, and cut a nice wide hole. My other two hunting companions used 160gr Simmons Sharks, and the other used Zwickeys.

Key of course is shot placement. We killed more than one big boar that had buckshot pellets and/or pistol bullets in its shoulder. Even saw some that had broadheads, and also saw a boar shot squarely on the shoulder stop a arrow off a PSE Nova like a brick wall... boar grunted, reached around with his mouth and ripped the arrow out... then trotted off like nothing happened.

Gotta hit them behind the shield!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aim lowGrasshopper... That's why I love a head shot...Come see us in theHog and Exotics forum.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The revs diagram is great

And swamp collies coment about the sheild is dead on , after you skin a big boar his hide will stand up like a tent , those sheilds are tough

Buy the way , whats a hog ?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

" Buy the way , whats a hog ? "

A natural ecosystem for fleas and ticks in which to thrive[8D]

Quick Reply: wild boar hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.