HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Golden Eagle Bow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/201588-golden-eagle-bow.html)

burntmypiston 08-10-2007 02:36 PM

Golden Eagle Bow?

Thinking about getting into bowhunting. Been a rifle guy forever but I have a friend that's wanting to give me a new Golden Eagle setup for a rifle I have. Not knowing anything about bows, I thought I'd ask here.

JOE PA 08-10-2007 04:00 PM

RE: Golden Eagle Bow?

That would depend a lot on the model and age of the bow. Bows depreciate pretty quickly, and Golden Eagle does not hold value like Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt. Then, there is the rifle. Rifles generally do hold value well, depending on condition. I sold one of my shotguns to buy a bow once. I have not missed the bow when I eventually sold it for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. I wish I had the shotgun back, even though I don't use them very much these days.[&:]

Arthur P 08-10-2007 05:08 PM

NEVER, EVER TRADE A FIREARM FOR A BOW!!!

(Unless it's an old junker that's likely to blow up the next time the trigger is pulled.);)

matters 08-10-2007 05:31 PM

just depends on the make and model of the rifle. Whats it worth. A Golden Eagle bow really would not be worth much around here. They made decent bows but now the might be hard to give away. Just my .02

KodiakArcher 08-10-2007 05:36 PM

Any beat up centerfire is worth more than a new Golden Eagle. If it's a rimfire or pellet gun and it's well used I might consider it but otherwise, hold on to your gun.

BGfisher 08-11-2007 05:38 PM

Good advice so far. Keep the firearm. As a matter of minformation, bows devalue quickly, liked about 35chas % the first year. Add to that the fact that Golden Eagle was puchased by Bear Archery in 1999 which has since discontinued the production of Golden Eagle bows. If I recollect right the last year that Golden Eagle bows were made was 1994.

bradisthebest 08-12-2007 08:34 PM

I shoot a Golden Eagle bow that is about 8 or 10 years old and it still works well i love it. It is a good solid bow.

BGfisher 08-13-2007 11:30 AM

A couple days later and I just went through these posts. Boy, did a goof. The last year of production for Golden Eagle bows was 2004. And then it was only low end bows handled mainly by box stores. They shared a lot of parts with the Bear bows, such as cast risers and limbs.

HeadHunter66 08-13-2007 02:19 PM

I have a Golden Eagle Splitfire 2 that I've been using for the last ?? years. It is fast, 294 fps, at 70 lbs, and I've taken many deer with it. This year I bought an Elite Synergy and am relegating the Splitfire to backup. But, I would not trade a rifle for the bow. I bought them in closeout sales for $250
and my son bought one for less. So unless it is a really crappy rifle you could probably get one on EBay rather cheaply.