Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Detailed Carbon Arrow Question (weight) >

Detailed Carbon Arrow Question (weight)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Detailed Carbon Arrow Question (weight)

Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Detailed Carbon Arrow Question (weight)

After doing plenty of reading I figured out how to cut my Carbon Arrows to the appropriate length. However I still can't find out what weight of a carbon arrow I want to get. I want an arrow that is good of both target and hunting and something thats pretty similiar with a field tip or broad head on it. I typically shoot up to 40 yards and shoot a bow thats 30 inch draw and probably 60% draw.

Also, is it that much cheaper to cut your own arrows or just have a shop do it for you?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Detailed Carbon Arrow Question (weight)

weight is upto YOU. so long as your shooting 5+ grain per pound(ie 70lb draw would be a 350gr finished arrow...with proper spine i dont think you could find an arrow that was too light)

i personally wanted something middle of the road. not extremely heavy..but not light. last year i shot a 378gr arrow. this year im about 100gr heavier...75 is just the shaft. i wanted the extra weight for the extra energy for the extra UMPH....im a hunter. i target shoot to become a better shooter. i do ALOT of backyard shooting and local 3d shoots just to do them once in a while...if i was competative, i would most likely own 2 bows. one just for target shooting and one just for hunting.

about the cutting...i personally leave that to my shop. think its maybe 25 cents an arrow...if you buy them there it might even be free. so 6$ a dozen aint bad...only needs done once i even let my shop fletch them(think thats 75 cents an arrow for Blazers around here) so in the end i spend an extra 12$ for arrows because i order them bare shafts and then take them to the shop...shops didnt carry what i wanted this year...sooner or later i will get a fletching jig..sooner or later i wont let my shops do anything actually...i rather not rely on anyone else...i can do most of the stuff...just need the supplies and tools..which i am working on slowly...i want it all before i get out of college...if my future works out there wont be a bowshop anywhere near me...i aint drivin 50+miles to have some arrows fletched
Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Unless you are using an arrow saw I would not cut them my self. And if you don’t have a saw it is probably not worth the money to buy one VS the cost of the shop cutting them. Most shops cut them for free if you buy the arrows from them.