Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question on maxed draw weight >

Question on maxed draw weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on maxed draw weight

Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on maxed draw weight

I shoot a PSE Firestorm, which is rated up to 60# (atleast the model i have does) I have kinda short arms and am shooting 27" draw length. The guy, well..kid actually, at the archery shop said because im only pulling 27" length that i cant get my bow to 60#?? Is this true? He said that the limbs would be cranked too tight and they could crack. I need som EXPERT opinions on this. Thanks guys.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Question on maxed draw weight

No, it isn't true.

Your bow maxes out at 60# and will max out at that weight no matter what the draw length.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not necessarily true. How old is your PSE? I had an old school PSE Polaris Express that shared the same cams with that years Firestorm that changed peak weight depending on draw length adjustments because of preloading limbs more to get certain cable position on the cams. This was the old school method of adjusting draw length by putting the cable in different slots on the cam.

With Sonic and Muzzy heads though, who cares? It is still plenty to kill any deer out there. It's way more important to have the correct draw length than it is to have an extra 5lbs.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that its plenty to kill a deer, and ive proven that over and over with it. The bow is probably about 4 years old. It has the Lightning Cam if that makes any difference.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

No, it isn't true.

Your bow maxes out at 60# and will max out at that weight no matter what the draw length.
[/quote ] Yeah what he said!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM

I think the kid at the store is confusing recurves with compounds. You are, however, going to suffer about 10 fps for each inch of shortened draw length - even though the draw weight stays the same.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Some older PSE bows would not hit max weight if you adjusted the draw length down, but on the plus side if you made them longer they would go over max weight. These were the synergy and the hatchet style that had the different groves in themor the moveable post to adjust draw length. The newer cams have modules and will max out at what they say. With out seeing the cams I could not tell you if it would or not max out. You can alwas just crank down the limbs and see. You can also contact PSEs tech line and find out.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I think the kid at the store is confusing recurves with compounds. You are, however, going to suffer about 10 fps for each inch of shortened draw length - even though the draw weight stays the same.

To be honest, speed is very overrated in my opinion and its by far my least concern. Im satisfied with the draw weight i have, but i was just wondering if he knew what he was talking about.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree. The gains in trajectory that come with a little more speed (or a little less arrow weight) aren't very significant.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:00 PM

He is telling you it won't hit max draw weight, or you can't bottom out the limbs?

It is common for some bows not to hit the max advertised draw weight when changing the draw length. It depends on the design. You should be able to bottom out the limbs though without damaging the bow. And with a few tweaks you should be able to hit max draw weight as well. If something like this would cause the limbs to crack I wouldn't get that bow because it is a POS bow. Or the kid doesn't know what he talking about.

Then again they don't call them Pull Shoot Explode for nothing

Paul

Quick Reply: Question on maxed draw weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.