HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   mechanical broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/191498-mechanical-broadheads.html)

gottlos 05-15-2007 05:18 PM

mechanical broadheads

has anyone used mechanical broadheads on deer? what were the results

hockeyhead 05-15-2007 07:00 PM

RE: mechanical broadheads

Dead deer !!!

5 shot 05-15-2007 07:13 PM

The best advice I can give you is to check out my website www.broadheadtests.com read through all the info and then if you have any questions feel free to email me or post them here. In general though mechancial heads can be very effective if you choose the right one for you setup.

mobow 05-15-2007 07:50 PM

Anybody remember the old punchcutters? Those babies were pretty sweet.

bigcountryok 05-15-2007 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Anybody remember the old punchcutters? Those babies were pretty sweet.
Yeah, they were wicked!!! Duno what happened to them.

I've used the Vortex broadheads and had good luck. I've since moved to fixed blades just because I had heard bad things about mechs and quartering away shots. I never experinced a problem though.

ijimmy 05-16-2007 07:10 AM

You guys are kiding , punchcutters were the worst mecanical ever produced .

HuntingBry 05-16-2007 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

You guys are kiding , punchcutters were the worst mecanical ever produced .
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. The design of the Punchcutter was a very inefficient one for blade deployment by today's standards. However, I still took several deer with them, one in particular with my old Golden Eagle Pro Turbo that delivered a whopping 44 ft. lbs. of KE and I still got a pass through. The blades were very sharp on the Punchcutters and they were made of high quality aluminum and werevery well put together.

The worst broadheads I have had experience with were the Puckett's Bloodtrailers. They had the same concept as Punchcutters, but with very loose tolerances and poor quality materials. It felt like the blades were going to fall out of them they were so bad.

To answer the original question, my experience with mechanicals is that they kill deer good.;)

ultimag 05-16-2007 06:34 PM

I have killed 5 elk in the past 5 years with Rocket Aeroheads the farthest track job was about 70 yds. Exit holes were very impressive. Shot placement baby shot placement.

The Rev 05-16-2007 08:26 PM

Grim Reapers!! Out Standing.

IL-Cornfed 05-17-2007 09:07 AM

Mechs b-heads are awesome! No one can argue that the Rocket Steelhead series heads are absolutely wicked! I've tried dozens of different b-heads on game but not even any of the popular fixed blades have compared to the incredible penetration I get from the Steelheads!