Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Comparing feathers and blazers >

Comparing feathers and blazers

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Comparing feathers and blazers

Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Comparing feathers and blazers

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had tried this. I shoot feathers and probably will for a long time, but I was wondering if you take two of the same exact arrows and fletch one with feathers and one with blazers how much difference will there be?

Assuming you're shooting a well tuned bow, the only difference I can think of is that the heavier one would shoot slightly lower. Am I wrong?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Comparing feathers and blazers

Actually, I did. Last summer. I fletched an ACC 3-60 w/ a 5" feather, and one w/ a 2" Blazer. Tipped them both w/ 100 grain Stingers, shot the feathered arrow first, the Blazer second. Shaved a feather off the first arrow.... True story.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent my friend. I'm going to take some Blazered arrows to Wyoming for the elk hunt in the event that we get a monster 10 day long rainstorm in Thanksgiving.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Dont worry, Im not going to WY this year, so you shouldnt have a washout

But I will be in South Africa, so they are guarenteed a record rainfall
Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I also tried refletching some arrows with blazers to compare them with feathers. My euipment is listed below. First thing I noticed is the blazers were extremely quite in flight. I also liked the idea that I did not have to worry about them in heavy raining weather. I have had some trouble with feathers in heavy rain when I am sneaking through swamps. I hunt when I can, not when the weather is perfect.
My bow is tuned for the feathers and with a 100gr broadhead. The blazersimpact wasclose to the feathers, but not consistent.I noticed a considerable wobble in the blazer fletched arrow at 20 yards and beyond. I believe the blazer vain was striking the bow upon release. It was 2 days before opening day, so the blazers went back on the shelf. I hope to workitout this summer and use the Blazers in the future after I have practiced with them for a while.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 AM

I switched from feathers to blazers. They both fly very well and the only real advantage to the blazers is their better when it rains and they don't drop as much as feathers at long ranges, mostly due to the excessive drag of the feather slowing the arrow down more.

I still love the look of feathers though and I might switch back to feathers this fall and carry a blazer in case I get caught in a storm.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 PM

I tried the same thing and the blazers flew very well. The only difference I noticed is the blazers are not forgiving at ALL of any sorf of contact isssues because they are so stiff. Your best bet would be to go with a drop a way rest if using blazers. Just my opinion any way.

I will probably go back to feathers though, just because I like them.

Paul
Old 03-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the drop away too it is so much more forgiving if you are not an expert shooter with your fallow through.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I've been shooting a drop away for 3 years... that's not changing. I'll fletch up some blazers soon and give it a whirl myself. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Actually there is no proof a drop a way rest is better or more forgiving than any other rest, if properly set up. As a matter of fact some drop a way rests have some overdraw to them which is actually less forgiving.

Their only real benefit in my opinion is with fletching issues. Other than that any rest can be set up to be just as forgiving or accurate. My vote for most forgiving rest would probably be a prong type rest with a spring launcher blade.

I have actually seen some drop a way rest cause more negative issues than good. Some have timing and repeatability issues. A drop a way has the same tuning issues as any other rest, and then some.

Don't buy into the hype and gimmicks. That arrow is going to go where you point it when you release the arrow, regardless of what type of rest you use. As long as it is set up properly.

You can shoot amazingly well with a flipper rest if you have the properly spined arrows and a feather fletch.

Paul

Quick Reply: Comparing feathers and blazers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.