Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Carbon or Aluminum >

Carbon or Aluminum

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon or Aluminum

Old 03-17-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Carbon or Aluminum

I know this is going to open a bucket of worms, but what the heck! I was reading a review by Chuck Adams, on the Easton web site. He stated that he and others at a camp spun a half dozen or so, carbon arrows, each and only a few did not wobble. He further stated the carbon is not uniformly spun making the wall thickness different throughout the shaft, hense wobble. So being curious, I spun all my carbon and of the 18 I spun, with field tips, 9 wobbled. With broadheads, 11 wobbled. Now I am not going to slam any arrow manufactorer by saying what brand I use, but they are not the bottom of the barrel. I am thinking seriously about going back to aluminum, because with the speed of these new bows, why not?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:55 AM

Default RE: Carbon or Aluminum

I understand what you're saying. A few of my "high-end" carbons wobble to. Even though they state that they are good within +/-.001". BUT, I dont think it's as much the arrow as it is the field point or the broadhead. Only a few tenths of a thousandths (thats .0001" for you mathmaticians) out of whack in the tip will cause the whole arrow to wobble.
(This is assuming that you are spin testing point down on a hard surface, instead of using a spin tester with roller bearings)

Just my thought. You very rarely hear broadhead or point manufacturers advertise about the "straightness" of their product!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 AM

That is why I shoot aluminums. While carbons are getting better every year, cheap aluminums still have better quality control and tolerances than most carbon arrows right of the box.

And contrary to what others will tell you, carbons can and do wear out over time. Heck, they don't start out right, why would you think they can't go bad?

Just my opinions though.

Paul
Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 AM

Great opinions. I have been shooting for 30+ years and started with aluminum and got caught up in the "hype" of aluminum and "speed". I am going back to aluminum, my bow is fast enough to throw them out there. Shoot I remember when my old Martin Cougar M-38 shot 150fps and thought it was fast. Took elk and moose down with it, but again, aluminum arrows.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 PM

I recently watched the George Ryals video where he demonstrated how tostraighten aluminum arrows. So I got a straightener and set up to get all of my indoor X7 2613's back in shape after two years of league.

What a waist of time! They were all still straight. Even after rattleing around in the back of my van for two league seasons, I couldn't find one that would benifit from anything that I could do.

Also, after reading the Ashby research, I began looking into heavier arrows for hunting. It looks like the best options for my set up will be aluminums. The light weight and speed that we thought was an advantage of carbon arrows, is now beginning to look like a disadvantage.

I'm giving serious consideration to going all aluminum except for 3D where the speed of carbon arrowsis a real advantage.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 AM

What Allen said. Aluminums are my choice except for 3D. Then I use Gold Tips.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

They make carbon shafts look so inviting, speed, perfect flight, no bending. But the part I have never liked about them is when they break, pieces parts every where. I have watched the development of carbon shafts and am still shooting my XX75s. I couldn't see a reason to change and still don't.
Gselkhunter
Old 03-18-2007, 08:59 AM

There are pluses and minuses to each. I've become an ardent user of carbons for one simple reason. I'm able to take very light, stiff arrows and put a huge percentage of weight on the tip to make extreme FOC arrows, that hit with unreal penetration and have great stability in wind and other obsticles. They're not perfectly straight all the time, and the spine issues are real, but I find that at typical hunting distances, those downfalls do not really get in the way. On the other hand, the advantages of a heavy, high FOC arrow are too great, in my opinion, to give up.

I spine tune my carbon arrows and cut from both ends when trimming. After cullling the worst few from a dozen, I usually get the rest to hit right where I'm aiming out to distances well past my hunting range.

Like Dr. Ashby says, the advantages to heavy weight and extreme FOC arrows are there, on every bow, every animal, no matter how small the animal or how high the draw weight. It's not just low draw weight, traditional shooters who see tremendous advantages from such a setup. It's everyone.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:03 PM

most aluminums are way to heavy for me
Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like both,ACC for me.

Quick Reply: Carbon or Aluminum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.