Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrows and field tips >

Arrows and field tips

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrows and field tips

Old 03-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Arrows and field tips

I'm an archery newby but I'm in the process of getting set upto build arrows not only for myself but hopefully for other archers. I know it's a huge question but what seems to be the most popular size arrows and field tip sizes? I know that inventory on these items are limitless but I would just like to get some information to get me started. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Arrows and field tips

The size of the arrow depends on your set up. Different draw lengths, draw weights and bow models require different arrows to shoot well.

As far as size, I believe most carbons are 19 or 20/64's in diameter. The most common arrow sizes are usually 20 or 21 series I think. I don't sell arrows for a living though so I could be off.

Worry about what arrows you need first, then get the right size tips. If can't get the right size tip, try and get one smaller than the shaft vrs larger. A tip that is larger than the shaft will be hard to get out of some targets. Some ranges will not even let you use them because it ruins the target.

Paul
Old 03-17-2007, 11:36 AM

95% of the folks I know shoot 100 grain field tips. Also 100 gr. broadheads. Most folks are also shooting carbon arrows with a total arrow weight of around 400 grains. Before selecting arrows, you will need to know your draw length (to determine arrow length), the actual draw weight of your bow, and the weight of your field tips. Any of these variables will affect which arrow shaft (in terms of spine/stiffness) that is correct for you. There is a calculator on Easton Archery's website than can figure all this out for you - and any good archery shop should be able to do it as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:50 PM

I was thinking diameter, not weight. The weight of your tip will also determin the spine of the arrow you need.

Paul