Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cable Bar problem, Mathews Q2 need advice. Pics attached. >

Cable Bar problem, Mathews Q2 need advice. Pics attached.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable Bar problem, Mathews Q2 need advice. Pics attached.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Cable Bar problem, Mathews Q2 need advice. Pics attached.

I need some help/advice... I own/shoot a Mathews Q2 and wanted to give it a makeover. I completely repainted the bow and cleaned it up over the weekend and most of last week. The Q2 has a cable guard that apparently gets epoxied at the factory. Little did I know that the side screw wasn't the main support holding the guard in place.

While trying to get the old cable guard out I ruined it. I had to break the guard off and drill the remain section out with a 3/8 drill bit. My trouble started when I bought a aftermarket Cobra cable guard. I had to come up with a solution to get the Cobra guard to mount into my drilled out hole. I took a fully thread screw and used a 2 part epoxy to set the screw. After letting it dry for about an hour I screwed and glued the new cable guard into the exposed thread sticking out from the riser.

Instead of aligning the offset cable guard straight up and down I had to mount it with the offset/elbow facing to the right of the riser. After putting the cables in the slide and mounting the slide on the cable guard the cable guard has a slight inward angle. I think because I didn't allow the epoxy enough time to set and the tension pulled the bar to the left. So, what I have is a cable guard that is a little far right and not in line with the vertical riser. This thing is set in stone and I want to know if this will effect the bow? I was hoping someone could offer their opinion. Not knowing about the significance of the position or offset of the guard I am a little nervous. Here are the pictures, I'm hoping it looks alright because I have no Idea how I'd get the bar out and fixed....

Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 PM

Default RE: Cable Bar problem, Mathews Q2 need advice. Pics attached.

That cable slide is going to jam tight in the bend of the cable rod. Get it out and try again with a straight rod.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM

you have that bow so twisted . Muzzy makes a straight rod that hooks on to the riser were the sight goes i think never used one . but look in lancasters web sight they got one in their .
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Are you talking about the Muzzy upper cable guard adapter???? Or is ther any other cable guard/rod product I could use that wouldn't need the screw in? I need an adaptor or something...
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Why did you paint that bow? I think you're in trouble if you can't remove the cable rod.
Thy some glue debonder. Don't forget that riser is machined alluminum. It's soft and will bend or break if you abuse it too much.
It looks pretty twisted up in the first pic.
Good Luck.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow thats not good , its a pain drilling out that cable rod , I know from experience . If you can , remove the screw you have in there and put the muzzy rod in mentioned , you'll have to cut it at the proper length . If you cant get the screw out use the muzzy rod as shipped , I believe they screw into your sight mounting holes .