Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow tuning

Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 AM

Default bow tuning

i am relativly new to archery and have no idea wat the "correct spine" is or wat the "proprer weight of an arrow is" and i need to paper tune nad i dont know how to adjust if its high loew left right etc. can any of yous help me
Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bow tuning

Probably the easiest way for me to answer this, or at least part of this, is to refer you to the www.eastonarchery.com . They have a very nice guide to help you with the tuning process. I would link you directly to the guide but my place of employment has decided to block that site from our network.

The term "spine" in reference to an arrow refers to how stiff or how weak the arrow is for any given setup. In other words, how much it flexs or bends upon release of the bowstring. Different setups require different spined arrows in order to achieve the best accuracy and penetration.

As for proper arrow weight, I tend to prefer to stick with arrows weighing no less than 6 grains per pound of draw weight ( for example....a 70 pound bow x 6 grains per pound = 420 grains) as I have a longer than average draw length and shoot a heavier draw weight. However, that is also going to varyper individualdepending on a variety of factors.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

PAB has exlained things fairly well, but I would suggest you list more details about your setup so we could help with specific recommendations, of which you'll get a ton.

We need to know the bow's peak weight, draw length, length of arrow you intend to shoot, release or fingers, etc.

What is important is that you pick an arrow "spined" well for your bow. You can use most arrow charts to get a close approximation. After that it's bow/ arrow tuning that results in good arrow flight.

And although I might get some arguements, unless you intend on hunting real soon I wouldn't get all hepped up on choosing and tuning for broadheads at this time of year. You have a lot to learn about tuning and shooting form and have all spring and summer to do it. Broadhead tuning can be quite tedius if your bow is not set up right and the more you understand about tuning in general the easier will be for broadheads. Keep it simple for now.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:04 PM

well im going on a birthday hunt out iin colorado on august 28 and wen i shoot through paper it tails low but i cannot get the nock to move up its on too tight and my poundage is 55-57 draw length is 29 and its a fred bear element with a whisker bisuit and i shoot release i just wasnt to know how to get my arrows to shoot stright and as much possible force of impact that it can excertlike for elk should i use a heavy broadhead heavy arrows????
Old 03-13-2007, 04:15 PM

srry my arrow length is 30 with field tips and 29 with nothing on it