Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 IBO Consistency? >

IBO Consistency?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

IBO Consistency?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Default IBO Consistency?

During this past week, I picked up a Hoyt Pro Tec (slightly used) from a friend of mine. It was set a 60 lbs. (max) and I turned it down to about 56. Shooting 405 gr. A/C arrows at my draw length of 29", I chronographed several arrows at 256 fps. Pretty happy here. KE is about 60 ft. pounds.

Last Saturday, I did a bunch of chronographing with my son's new Fred Bear Element. With a 350 grain arrow, same draw length,and the draw weight maxed out at 60 lbs. (59 actual), it developed 257 fps. The IBO is 302 on this bow.

Not sure what the IBO is on the Hoyt - but I don't think it's much higher than the Fred Bear - the new "38" version of this bow is something like 310. Something isn't right here. The Element should be considerably faster - with 3 lbs. heavier draw and a 60 gr. lighter arrow - or the Hoyt should be maybe 30 fps slower. Could the Hoyt Pro Tec have an IBO as high as 332? Or is IBO sort of like advertised horsepower? Thx. Roskoe
Old 03-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Default RE: IBO Consistency?

Afterthought: the Fred Bear does have a Whisker Biscuit - Hoyt has a Trophy Ridge fall away. Fred Bear also has a peep attached with a rubber cord. Hoyt has a Meta with no cord. Could those two differences account for that much speed?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were the draw lengths the same?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Yes - both set at 29". The Fred Bear is a solo cam type bow, and the Hoyt is the "Cam and a half" model.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

SorryI don't have time to research this, but I believe the protec came with a higher IBO.

WB rest= 2-5 fps loss depending on fletch & tune.
Rubber band peep- ~9 fps loss

1" of draw length = ~10 fps (same on both)
Old 03-10-2007, 04:53 PM

IBO speed ratings are based on a 70lb draw weight, a 30" draw, shooting a 350 grain arrow.

In additon, do not add anything to the bowstring such as peep sights or silencers. Nor would you add anthing to the arrow; such as flecthing.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

IBO is a nothing more than a gimmick so hunters willpay big bucks for a new BOW everyyear... a bow that shoots 210-230fpsisnt any lessaccurate than one that shoots 250+ in mosteveryone's hands. ....Best thing to do is Distance yourself from the rest of the pack and dont buy into the Hype and mass hysteria IBO ratingshave created....
STOP THEMADNESS!!!

just for the record i shoot a martin prowler SE "crono'd" at "220" FPS at my setup....i smoke guys that are obsessed with arrow speed and the latest fancy tech gadgetry in bows..
Old 03-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

also i can pull out my oldPSE Polaris express and shoot everybit as accurately with it as i do the martin.....and it was made in '94 and cost me 180$new(bare)...ive never "chrono'd"it but its probably about 190fps or so...
I bought the Martin Used because i felt that it was just much more SOLID/TIGHTER/just plain nicer to shoot, by about 300%(apples to Oranges) ButtheoldPSE wasnt any less accurate than the Martin in my hands...i dont notice too much difference in the new bows and my martin as far as quality of build and feel(apples toapples)..so buying a new(used) one isnt justified quite yet.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 PM

since when did anyone say that IBO had anything to do with accuracy... i am sure that you can shoot real acurately with your old bow at 210 fps... but what happens when you are 5 or even 10 yards out on your yardage judgment
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am real good at judging yardage out to50 yards the most im ever off is5 yards usualy im only off by no more than 3+-yards....at under 30 yards you can call me "rangefinder"

when hunting in a treestand i know the distance of just about everything around me....so i never have to guess a distance anyway....it only takes a little extra time to measure things and make mental notes, or tie a flag on a tree/bushfor every spot you hunt,i just have 5 or six yardage references for every stand always...that way youll never have to guess and be very comfortable with your shot always, especially when you dont setup for anything over 30 yards anyway...a little extra preparation mentally goes a long way.

since when did anyone say that IBO had anything to do with accuracy... i am sure that you can shoot real acurately with your old bow at 210 fps... but what happens when you are 5 or even 10 yards out on your yardage judgment you just did say that, i was just stating that speed has nothing to do with accuracy previously...

as far as ibo and speed are concerned i guess more accurate isnt the term but more forgiving when it comes to yardage judjment is...but that is it ...its almost the same diff..accuracy is the most important thing when shooting anything....IBO is an overrated gimmick imo....if you dont want to prepare yourself properly...you have nothing to blame but yourself for a miss
---------------------------------

Robby

Quick Reply: IBO Consistency?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.