Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What is wrong with my setup? >

What is wrong with my setup?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is wrong with my setup?

Old 03-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Default What is wrong with my setup?

Standing behind my hanging bow, shouldn't your bow string line up through the center of your rest and at the same time, be aligned with your pins?

Not my bow....my pins are a good 1/16" or moreto the left of my bow string.

My cock feather, which is pointed down because I shoot a two prong rest, hits the left prong no matter how much I turn the feather. Thus my arrows turn a bit sideways while heading down range. Yet, I am dead nuts at 40 yards!?

So, if I align my sight with my string which in turn aligns with the center of my rest, I am 2" left at 10 yds, 4" left at 20 yds, etc. etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really don't want to take it to a shop because I like to do things myself.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is wrong with my setup?

That is normal. That shows the reasoning why setting 3rd and 4th axis on a sight is more difficult and has to be set to a persons hand torque. There is side pressure applied as you draw your bow which causes the bow to torque. Offset cable slides help reduce the amount of torque, thus bringing your sight path and arrow path into more of a parallel line.

Don't worry about it.... Mine does the same thing.....
Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like you're referring to center shot?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM

The lasers are out of my price range. Is there anything that is affordable for checking the center shot?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

It sounds like you're referring to center shot?
Center shot is a great starting place. Through tuning you will find out just where the rest has to be for things to work when you shoot. That is why bows set up at rest are not in tune until you shoot the bow and induce these torques.

Get just about any bow set up with a proper tune, and you will find that the pins will probably look as referred in the original post.

Just about everyone has some sort of hand torque. Meaning that pressures are applied outside of a straight line while holding still at full draw, not meaning that you twist your hand when you shoot.

The first time I noticed that it freaked me out too.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 PM

If I start moving my rest....that means I will have to adjust my peep and my loop?

Sorry for these questions, I am new to tuning a bow.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

If I start moving my rest....that means I will have to adjust my peep and my loop?

Sorry for these questions, I am new to tuning a bow.
Sounds like you need to go to the proshop and let a professional handle this issue. Unless you have a press and other tuning tools, you might find yourself struggling...
Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 PM

We'll see. I still have 7.5 months until I take my hunting trip to Wisconsin. I would rather tinker for now. I don't learn anything by handing my bow over to anyone. But I do realize that serious problems need major equipment to fix. I'll keep an open mind and see what happens. The only thing I have not messed around with is my rest.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will if you go up and down, not side to side. There are a couple of good threads on here for tuning already. Great info....
Old 03-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what I've read, to get center shot your arrow needs to follow the "path of force". To get this, you have to get a nocked arrow to align with your string and sight pin. Some rest adjustment might be necessary. (3/4" from riser) I think this is right.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.