Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rest Questions????? >

Rest Questions?????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest Questions?????

Old 03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rest Questions?????

I am currently shooting a wb, but my arrows are getting chewed up. I was thinking about switching to a drop away. I have heard that the accuracey of the drop away is a lot better than that of the WB. The main reson I love my WB is the stability of the arrow when you moving the bow around unting is there any rest that solve both problems.????
Old 03-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rest Questions?????

Just put some blazers on. Don't use feathers if you don't want them chewed up. Blazers are the new best thing try them.!!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I also want to know about the accuracey issue????

Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 AM

There is no one rest that is more accurate than another. There are some that are a bit more forgiving than others, but not much to be honest.

There are several threads on the WB rest and how to modify or tune it so your arrows go through it better. If you can do a search for them and try some of the tips.

I personally don't care for the WB type rests because of the way they adjust. I don't like the cheap prong rests for the same reasons. That doesn't mean they are a bad rest though. Any rest if tuned properly should work about the same.

If you want the most forgving rest get a prong style rest, put a blade launcher on it and shoot feathers. I also have good luck with the Bodoodle style rests.

I used to think equipment mattered until I saw some guys that could shoot recurves using fingers, off the shelf, wooden arrows and no sights that could shoot better than I could. No I am in the mind set that it is not so much what you bolt on the bow, but what you do with it. The latest craze in archery or newest gizmo probably is not going to make you a better archer. YOU are going to make you a better archer.

I would agree with the above though, get some blazer or other fairly stiff vanes and put a slight offset them. You should be good to go then. And again, try to find some tips on setting up and tuning the rest you have. When set up properly they are fine rest, especially for hunting off the ground. If set up wrong they can be noisy and wear your fletchings pretty fast.

My opinions anyway.
Paul
Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

by slight offset you mean a helical pattern or something else I am looking at getting a jig to fletch my arrows and was trying to decide the set i want.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 PM

THINK ABOUT THE RISISTENCE THE WB PUTS ON THE ARROW,(ABOUT 20-30 FPS!!!).. I LIKE THE DROP AWAY WITH A RUBBER HOLDER THAT HOLDS THE ARROW AT ANY ANGLE TILL ALMOST FULL DRAW
Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 PM

I had been using a WB for a while but switched to a Bodoodle rest still holds arrows good as is very accurate and I noticede an increase in speed.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rnj420

THINK ABOUT THE RISISTENCE THE WB PUTS ON THE ARROW,(ABOUT 20-30 FPS!!!).. I LIKE THE DROP AWAY WITH A RUBBER HOLDER THAT HOLDS THE ARROW AT ANY ANGLE TILL ALMOST FULL DRAW
Not so! Plenty of tests have shown that the WB causes anywhere from 2-7 fps loss in speed. Nothing near 20-30 fps. There has to be some speed loss. There is friction involved.

That being said I do not and will not use a WB for my own reasons. One of them being the potential for less accuracy. Not that the rest is less accurate, but that because the arrow is held in place during the shot the shooter must have a good follow through until the arrow completely leaves the bow, whereas with a conventional shoot-through or shoot-around rest the bow can move a little without affecting the course of the arrow.

Proponents of containment rests often use the analogy that they could shoot the bow while standing on their heads or with the bow upside-down. Probably true, but when was the last time you ever heard or saw anybody shooting a bow standing on their head??????????

Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rnj420

THINK ABOUT THE RISISTENCE THE WB PUTS ON THE ARROW,(ABOUT 20-30 FPS!!!)..
Bogus !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I like the idea of the arrow staying in the rest when i an walking into my stand or just have the bow sitting at my side. When i pick it up with a WB i dont have to worry about the arrow falling or moving makeing noise which a deer would hear. Is that a drop away that sloves that problem???

Quick Reply: Rest Questions?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.