Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrows mathched to bows? >

Arrows mathched to bows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrows mathched to bows?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Arrows mathched to bows?

Is there any evidence that a certain brand/model of arrow will work particularly well with a certain brand/model of bow? And maybe not with another?

Say a split limb design vs. solid limb vs. parallel for example.

I know with firearms, some guns like a certain round/bullet weight over another byexibiting a more efficient paper pattern.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Arrows mathched to bows?

as long as the arrow is the right spine for the poundage and drawlength of your bow, any bow can be tuned and shot with any arrow as far as i know

Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fufanu360

as long as the arrow is the right spine for the poundage and drawlength of your bow, any bow can be tuned and shot with any arrow as far as i know
I don’t agree completely with this. Some arrows do notfly as well as others. You have to look at arrow consistence with in a set of arrows. Like spine, weight, straightness and over all quality of an arrow. This all play a part in good arrow flight.
Now I would agree that if you use any good quality arrow that is spined right you should be able to get it to shoot well, if bow is tuned right.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 PM

It seems to be more that certain arrows matchspecific archers more than specific bow types.

There are a lot of reasons for this including (but not limited to):
- confidence due to past success
- availability of spine that fits an archer's DL & preferred DW
- brand loyalty
- sponsorships
- etc.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Here's something else I thought of . . . If cutting down the arrow increases the spine, then how do you know what the spins is after cutting it down. Is there some graph or mathmatical way to determine this?
I'm shooting 27.5" draw and arrows are cut to 28. Axis arrows. I was told that if you shorten the arrow, you stiffen the spine.(?)
Old 03-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are no formulas or calculations to determine spine.They have to be measured on a spine tester to show the arrow deflection.And yes..if you shorten the arrow,the spine will stiffen
Old 03-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JimPic

There are no formulas or calculations to determine spine.They have to be measured on a spine tester to show the arrow deflection.And yes..if you shorten the arrow,the spine will stiffen

This isn't totally true.It is true that the arrows spine is measured on a spine scale but that isn't the end.

We need to know the DYNAMIC spine of an arrow to know how it will perform,or should perform out of a particular setup.Everything from using a d-loop to having an overdraw and point weight affects the dynamic spine.

There must be a formula for that becausealot of the charts ask for point weight but the arrow programs ask for all these details,I am not aware of what kind of formula or if they just figure some sort of % spine increase for fingers verses using a release with a d-loop.

Arrowmike is absolutely correct about arrow quality playing a factor.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:49 AM

My shortest post ever to follow this one.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:49 AM

NO
Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The formula is much more complicated than I am willing to figure out myself.

The arrow spines are calculated through on target software and are shown on a moving graph to dial in the optimum dynamic spine. Throw on a heavier tip and the pile weight increases on the aroow, effecting the spine greatly. Put on a lighter tip and the pile weight decreases.

I have used on target software for getting the exact dynamic spine match for my setup. It may require shooting a pound or two heavier or lighter than I wanted, but having the arrow dialed in makes a noticible difference.

Quick Reply: Arrows mathched to bows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.