Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How long does it take.... >

How long does it take....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How long does it take....

Old 03-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Default How long does it take....

Okay, I am very new to all of this..But generally speaking, how long does it take to get the pins on a sight adjusted correctly?

Oh, and I waswondering if going back and forth between glasses and contacts would make any difference?A few times I wore my contacts when shooting the targetand the other time I wore my glasses, when I felt I just didn't want to mess with putting contacts in because my eyes were irritated anyway, so I just wore the glasses. I wonder if that would make just a tad bit of difference in trying to dial in precisely the pins on the sight?My glasses are the no line bi-focal, but my contact is only for distance? Just curious? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

~ Lady_Huntress ~ in northern Illinois

Old 03-09-2007, 08:34 AM

Default RE: How long does it take....

When I sight in a new bow or sight it usually takes me about 20 minutes. I can "gap" the sight pins pretty close because I shoot the same general weight arrows and draw weight all the time. I'll get my 20 yard pin set and have it near the top of the range of adjustment and then step back to 40 yards to sight in the 3rd pin. When I'm comfortable with the point of impact at 40 yards, I'll "gap" the rest of the pins into position. This gets me pretty close and takes me about 20 minutes. Only more shooting and practice will bring lasting confidence in my settings after the initial sight in.

Good luck shooting!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Sorry to forget to address your glasses issue. I personally don't wear glasses but the very vew times I shot with sunglasses, I had a heck of a time trying to look past the frames of the glasses. I would think there would be a big advantage to wearing contacts for shooting. Your glasses though could provide protection for your eyes in the outdoors environment and something coming off your string like a silencer.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

I sighted in my bow last night and I was shooting 3 arrows at a time I started at 20 when I could get all 3 in the bulls eye, I would set my pin, I moved back to 30 then 40 and 50. Took me about 30min. I do wear glasses and contacts and I can't shoot with my glasses on. If I try to shoot with my glasses I will be off the mark.

The only problem I have is my pins are too close together. My 20 and 30 yard pins are almost touching.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot with glasses cause I dont have contacts and cant stand wearing contacts plus I am not that vain not to wear my glasses

I dont have any trouble what so ever shooting with glasses and the frames dont block any of my vision.

As for sighting in that depends on how many pins you have and how consistant your grip and anchor points areit could take anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple of hours
Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 AM

The short answer to your question is; "it depends". It depends on your experience with sighting in bows (being able to rough in the pin gaps from prior knowledge) and your shooting skill (having the confidence to know your shot was on the mark and being able to make an adjustment after each shot). The best I've done was to have all the pins hitting dead on out to 40 after roughing them in by eye in the shop but that was just dumb luck. The worst has probably taken me about half an hour to sight out to 50 yds. but I'll fine tune for a couple sessions after that initial setting.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

kodiak is right...last summer i was new to shooting a bow. i had to learn good form and HOW to shoot a bow. that took a while. my form changed daily...so did my pins i set the top pin where it was close and left it till i was getting consitant groups at the same spot every time i shot...then i put on a 25yd pin. same thing..learned to shoot good groups at 25. 35 i gapped it the same and it came out perfect. i got 2 more pins...gapped them the same but havent used them..should be 45 and 55..but my back yard is only 40. i shot between the 35 and 45 at 40 and its on..it dont take much time once you learn to shoot...thats the tough part..getting good consistant form..
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM

Another thing I do sometimes is to sight in my 40 yard pin first by centering it in the round pin guard and then moving the gang elevation. After the 40 is in, I gap the rest and then test shoot them and adjust from there. This method will give you "centered" pins in the center of the round pin guard. This is while using a 5 pin sight and avoids ending up with your 20 at the very top of the adjustment and having a lot of room below your 60 yard pin or vice versa..
Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Another thing I do sometimes is to sight in my 40 yard pin first by centering it in the round pin guard and then moving the gang elevation. After the 40 is in, I gap the rest and then test shoot them and adjust from there. This method will give you "centered" pins in the center of the round pin guard. This is while using a 5 pin sight and avoids ending up with your 20 at the very top of the adjustment and having a lot of room below your 60 yard pin or vice versa..
I do the same for my 30 yd. pin for my 3 pin sight.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

If your bow is tuned, and your shooting technique is right, not long at all.

Quick Reply: How long does it take....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.