Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Outserts vs. Inserts"

They'
ll do the job just like any shaft if tuned for the bow. The reason they hit lower is probably due to two things. #1 they are smaller in diameter so are angled down on the rest a little more than ICS type arrows. #2 the shafts tend to be thicker walled and heavier than insert type arrows.

The biggest problem with the older protruded shafts with outserts is fletch clearnce with most shoot through or prong rests. This problem is pretty much solved with drop away rests. One other thing is that they aren't made much anymore so getting replacements and replacements parts could be pretty tough.

On another note, when the protruded shafts break they splinter leaving shards of carbon fiber in a wound channel. Eat these and your innards are in for some big trouble. How does going to the hospital for surgery sound?
Newer, ICS types usually snap cleanly if broken in an animal, but care should still be taken to trim away any meat around the wound channel.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 230 shaft. Have to use an Oversert and Over Nocks. Don't notice a difference since all I shoot. I am however looking to see if the SST hidden insert technology, think that is it, will work. If it does, then I will switch to it and see if I can find a nock to insert into the shaft!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=outserts&N=4887&Ntk =Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt= outserts&noImage=0

This is the link to Cabelas where the sell the overserts.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0004520410332a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=over+nocks&N=4887&a mp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&am p;Ntt=over+nocks&noImage=0

Second link is the over nocks

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033160417196a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=2300+arrows&N=4887& amp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&a mp;Ntt=2300+arrows&noImage=0

These are the arrows they go on. The Maverick's but I think they are gonna phase them out. With the new HIT technology and Illuma nock has nocks that can be inserted in the smaller shafts, no need for the overserts anymore. I bought three dozen of the shafts I have several years ago, about dozen and a half left. I reuse the arrows a lot and only replace when I break or loose..... I do my own arrows. Anyway I am gonna try the hidden insert tech. before I buy more. If it works I might switch, might make the arrow a little lighter, but the illuminating nock seems a must for hunting......

OOps: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0033160417196a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=2300+arrows&N=4887& amp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&a mp;Ntt=2300+arrows&noImage=0
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956

I use a 230 shaft. Have to use an Oversert and Over Nocks. Don't notice a difference since all I shoot. I am however looking to see if the SST hidden insert technology, think that is it, will work. If it does, then I will switch to it and see if I can find a nock to insert into the shaft!
JL,

You're close. Read the previous post. It's not SST system, it's HIT and mae by Easton for their Axis shafts. And no need to hunt for nocks that fit. Easton makes them for these shafts, too.

Ifferd,

Although I'm not a fan of the Axis shafts I would tell you that they are similar to the pultruded shafts you have now. I believe they are 17/64" diameter so are a small diameter, thick walled shaft. This makes them heavier than many ICS types and probably more durable, but not a lot. And with the HIT system and nocks everything is the same diameter as the shaft.
If you decide on these in the future and want a nice flush fitting screw-in point then try the Easton ACC parabolic point that fits the 3-18 and 3-28.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956

JL,

You're close. Read the previous post. It's not SST system, it's HIT and mae by Easton for their Axis shafts. And no need to hunt for nocks that fit. Easton makes them for these shafts, too.

Ifferd,

Although I'm not a fan of the Axis shafts I would tell you that they are similar to the pultruded shafts you have now. I believe they are 17/64" diameter so are a small diameter, thick walled shaft. This makes them heavier than many ICS types and probably more durable, but not a lot. And with the HIT system and nocks everything is the same diameter as the shaft.
If you decide on these in the future and want a nice flush fitting screw-in point then try the Easton ACC parabolic point that fits the 3-18 and 3-28.
BG, thanks. I when I said SST I was thinking I was wrong but not sure. As I wrote the second reply I realized it was HIT.

Thanks for the advice will keep it in mind!

JL
Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]