Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching arrows >

Fletching arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching arrows

Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fletching arrows

Hello this is my first post on this board but I use this as a resourse for all my hunting questions.

My question is about beging to fletch my own arrows. I read what the website had to say about it and was just aking for some more info, expiriences, lessons learned so it doesnt take me so long to master it.

The reason that I am going to fltch my own arrows is it just costed me 12 dollars for 5 arrows to get redone. I am using a wisker biscuit for my rest and relize that its why the life of my arrows are so short, but I love it what it does for me when I am hunting. When I am not hunting I shoot about 2 times a week about a 100 arrows. I don't really see it plausable for me to get a drop away rest(my next choice if i didn't love the stability that the WB offer) for off season and use my WB for hunting.

Jesse
Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Default RE: Fletching arrows

Its no real tough to fletch arrow,just make sure you get a decent jig.I use a Jo Jan single fletcher.Read the instructions that come with it and your on your way.Its nice doing your own because you can experiment with different fletch's.Im not sure what type of fletch you can use with the WB though.I think my brother uses Blazer vanes with a helical but not sure if they are helical or off set.Good luck
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the "addiction". Search the forum, there is a wealth of do's and don'ts here on fletching and 'bout anything else you'll ever need to know.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your first post? Welcome to the site.

I'll give you several reasons to learn to fletch your own. Once your jig is set you can jsut replace one vane if necessary because the angle of the clamp is set where you want it. You can pick the colors you like and mix or match. You can do it at your leisure not having to wait till the shop can get to them.

The initial outlay can be a little steep depending on what jig you choose. I recommend the Bitzenberger, as it is the best and most verstile. You can use the same jig for straight, straight offset, nad right or left helical depending on what clamps you buy. And there is no way to wear one out. I've been using mine for over 30 years.

Lookm around and you may get lucky and find a used one, but don't hold your breath. People that get them seem to keep them forever.

One hint, being as you are using a Whisker Bisquit. After you fletch your arrows put a little dab on both ends of the fletch (called spot gluing). This will help keep the end from lifting off the arrow while passing through the rest.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 AM

I have also started my own also, don't know if this helps out or not but I got one of the fletchers that do all three at one time, I think its made by Arizona andit works good. I use blazers so its a snap. I think it was around $45.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recomend Bitzenberger as well. The easiest and fastest way I have found is using either nap quick spin glue or goat tuff glue, just put a thin line down the fletch and tap it on a paper towl put it on the arrow and your done. No spot glueing required.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fletching your own will pay for itself if you shot alot. Also, I tend to buy my shafts bare and save by fletching my own. I like the Bitzenburger too. Since they are so durable and last forever, I decided to buy one used to save some bucks. It might not be shiney, but it works like it was brand new. In my opinion, a used bitz is the way to go.