Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Public Service Announcement, re: a way to avoid potential DRYFIRE >

Public Service Announcement, re: a way to avoid potential DRYFIRE

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Public Service Announcement, re: a way to avoid potential DRYFIRE

Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public Service Announcement, re: a way to avoid potential DRYFIRE

This is what happened to me that could've resulted in a dryfire:

I have a 26" Vectrix that I got rid of a brass nock on and replaced with an eliminator button. I shot it over the weekend without problem but today I experienced something that could've proved fatal for my bow. I was doing a little strength training exercise with my bow by nocking an arrow and holding it at full drawthen trying to remain steady for 30 seconds at a time.The veryfirsttime I did this,the arrow just fell off the string after about 15 seconds while I was holding full draw!

What happened was that because the eliminator buttonisdirectly touchingthe arrow,there isvery little room between the arrow's nock and my release.As I drew and the eliminator button squished even smaller, this allowed contact between the arrow's nock and my releasewhich pushed thearrow off the string just a little bit.Then with thestringbeing atsuch an acute angledue to theshort ATA, having the pressure of the release pushing upward on the eliminator button pretty much just squeezed the arrow the rest of the way out after15 seconds of holding full draw. I repeated the excercise and each time it happened again. I could look at the arrow and see it slowly coming undone!

When I was shooting over the weekend I didn't hold full draw but 5-6 seconds each time I shot and this didn't happen. Had I had to hold it longer, right now I'd be making a "I dry fired my bow and don't know how I did it" post. Worse yet, this could've been 7 months later and happen as I was taking aim at a deer. Then I would've dryfired and missed a deer and not know what happened. So, just as a courtesy this is my precautionary tale.

p.s. string loop here I come
Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Public Service Announcement, re: eliminator buttons

I have a 26" Vectrix that I got rid of a brass nock on and replaced with an eliminator button.
Why did you replace the brass nock with an eliminator button?

The eliminator button is to use with a brass nock to stop the release from pinching the arrow nock. The brass nock above the arrow and the elininator button below the arrow nock but above your release.

Might I suggest you put a string loop on and get rid of the eliminator button.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Service Announcement, re: eliminator buttons

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy
Why did you replace the brass nock with an eliminator button?
Because of what you wrote next

The eliminator button is to use with a brass nock to stop the release from pinching the arrow nock. The brass nock above the arrow and the elininator button below the arrow nock but above your release.
That is exactly how I have it set up. Originally, it was set-up from the bowshop in a way where I had to nock the arrow between two brass nocks. This pinched the heck out of my arrow so I removed the bottom one and replaced it with an eliminator button. Problem described unsuing.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Public Service Announcement, re: a way to avoid potential DRYFIRE

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

p.s. string loop here I come
That's the ticket!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

it was set-up from the bowshop in a way where I had to nock the arrow between two brass nocks.
That little bit of info was missing from your first post thats why I asked why you replaced the brass nock with a eliminator button.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

He had just posted on this subject and probably assumed most knew what he was doing already.

Now you know ONE reason that a loop is in high demand,especially on short a-a bows.

I really am having a hard time understanding why it is going on with your short draw,though.You must be really pushing up with your release somehow.regardless,A loop will eliminate it.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Move the button down slightly so it doesn't pinch the nock. Thats how mine is set up.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the only way that I can reallykeep this from happening is to sky or skyline the bow (not sure which is the right term) when drawing. This forces me to pull down and sort of away from the arrow nock. If I hold the bow straight out in front of me and pull back slowly, it'llforce the eliminator button to squish about 3 quarter way through the draw cycle andcausethe release and arrow to make contact. This then as described, pushes up on the arrow nock and forces it a little off the string. Holding for another 10-15 seconds, you can see the arrow being "spit out" by the release pushing up on the eliminator button.

One thing I was concerned about was that this first happened on a 2 year old arrow. I suspected that the nock might just be worn out and loose so I tried one of my brand new CX maxima 3-D selects and... same thing.

Anyway, I'm not taking any chances soI'm going with a short as possible D-loop. Oh btw- would anyone suggest using a single brass nock to keep the string loop from moving up? or is that not necessary?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Well, the only way that I can reallykeep this from happening is to sky or skyline the bow (not sure which is the right term) when drawing. This forces me to pull down and sort of away from the arrow nock. If I hold the bow straight out in front of me and pull back slowly, it'llforce the eliminator button to squish about 3 quarter way through the draw cycle andcausethe release and arrow to make contact. This then as described, pushes up on the arrow nock and forces it a little off the string. Holding for another 10-15 seconds, you can see the arrow being "spit out" by the release pushing up on the eliminator button.

One thing I was concerned about was that this first happened on a 2 year old arrow. I suspected that the nock might just be worn out and loose so I tried one of my brand new CX maxima 3-D selects and... same thing.

Anyway, I'm not taking any chances soI'm going with a short as possible D-loop. Oh btw- would anyone suggest using a single brass nock to keep the string loop from moving up? or is that not necessary?
I don't use any brass nock sets. I find the correct nock position and then tie in a knot of serving about 1/16" to 1/8" below the arrow nock and then tie my loop above the nock and below the knot of serving. Most of the pressure on a D loop is on the bottom knot and the knot of serving helps to prevent nock pinch and to keep the bottom loop knot from creeping up. It will also better position your release behind the arrow nocks.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer to tie mine under the arrow with a served in nock,no brass at all.This allows for downward pressure on the rest while still giving the advantages of a loop.

This is the best picture I have right now.

Quick Reply: Public Service Announcement, re: a way to avoid potential DRYFIRE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.