Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning Methods to prepare for hunting season... >

Tuning Methods to prepare for hunting season...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning Methods to prepare for hunting season...

Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Tuning Methods to prepare for hunting season...

I am pretty new to archery and am going to try turkey hunting this year with my bow, to get my first bow kill . Anyway, I was wondering the different methods you guys use to tune your bow to get it in top form for deer and turkey hunting. I was told that I could be shooting good groups but if my bow isnt properly tuned, I could loose a lot of energy and penetration and possibly wound my target. Any methods and instructions how to do so would be great. If theres a website or something that shows all of this that would be great. Thanks for the help. I have a compound, 56# draw, pretty standard beginner setup.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tuning Methods to prepare for hunting season...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2020182

I just posted on this subject.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 AM

The only thing I'll add is that tuning for broadhead flight is more critical than tuning for field tips. It is very important to design and fine tune your arrow for the correct spine. You also want to make sure you have enough weight up front. Light weight broadheads on improperly spined arrows are the biggest reason penetration can be poor on high draw weight bows.

Loading weight on the front end and creating high drag on the rear of a properly spined arrow will give you a great shooting, high penetrating broadhead tipped arrow.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Download eastons tuneing guide , go straight to broadhead tuneing , there are other methods of tuneing listed , some are for traditional archers ,others are for compound archers useing a release , dont get confused useing a method that was not intended for the gear you are useing , for example "bare shaft tuneing " , which is intended for traditional archers to fine tune thier arrow spine .

Heres a link http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp
Old 03-02-2007, 07:27 AM

Thanks... the Easton link is awesome and very helpful.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Loading weight on the front end and creating high drag on the rear of a properly spined arrow will give you a great shooting, high penetrating broadhead tipped arrow.

This is one of the most accurate statements I have ever read on this or any other forum.

You must have alot of drag to get heavier arrows to fly well,traditional shooters understand this.Along with the heavy points.

Light and fastarrows need low drag and moderate point weight.

You can play the other end of the spectrum with great success also but when you start trying to combine the 2,that is where problems will arise.

300 grain carbons with 5" shield cuts with 9% foc will do horrible with penetration out of most setups.

I also agree that if a fixed blade head is to be used,you need to tune to them.I mentioned that BRIEFLY in my post.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 AM

300 grain carbons with 5" shield cuts with 9% foc will do horrible with penetration out of most setups
I'd be willing to bet that 300 gr carbons with a 9% FOC would have terrible penetration out of any setup - nevermind the fletching.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I actually had a 320 gr arrow shooting 1 1/2 Rockets with low profile vanes that was shot out of a speed bow that did amazingly well at relatively low poundage.I did have foc around 11%.

If the ke was REAL high on the light arrows ,they would get passthroughs on good hits but bad hits wouldn't fare so well.

The problem with the feathers would be that the arrow would be unstable at high speeds with that much drag,that was my main point.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Spike

What is FOC?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Front of center,the amount of weight that is infront of thecenter point of the arrow.The balance point.

Quick Reply: Tuning Methods to prepare for hunting season...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.